What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjay

It isn't that OneDrive doesn't work, it does and quite well as you notice. It is the way that it is presented in W10. Only those files that are synced and available locally as well as at OneDrive show up in the OneDrive folder. And no OneDrive app that made getting/opening a file so easy. In order to get to the files that are online only you have to go to the website for OneDrive. I find that unacceptable.
I totally agree, the new way of using Onedrive is a joke. Their excuse that it confused people is even more laughable. I fell in love with Onedrive when using Windows 8, except for how slow it is. There is no reason they could not or should not make it the way it was. Turn the online only ones different colors or put them in their own tab saying online only. Having to go to a stupid website to see my offline files is beyond annoying when I have used it the other way. Maybe if enough insiders will speak up, they will change it back or create an idiot proof way so it doesn't confuse the masses.
Add me to the club of those who think that this dumbing down of OneDrive in Wndows 10 is really stupid. I used to keep all files "available offline" on my desktop and kept most files "available online" on the SP3 due to the limited storage. This reason alone is enough for me to reconsider moving on to Windows 10. NOt to mention the incredibly high number of issues that Windows 10 (build 10120 & 10130) have on the SP3

Last edited:
Add me to the club of those who think that this dumbing down of OneDrive in Wndows 10 is really stupid. I used to keep all files "available offline" on my desktop and kept most files "available online" on the SP3 due to the limited storage. This reason alone is enough for me to reconsider moving on to Windows 10. NOt to mention the incredibly high number of issues that Windows 10 (build 10120 & 10130) have on the SP3

I'm going to rebut that last part of your post by making the obvious remark that this is pre release software and any and all bugs should not be held against a final release, and also by the fact that many of these issues may just be firmware and driver related.

I prefer the transparency level of the sidebar in 8.1 to that used in 10. The sidebar in 10 is so opaque it just feels intrusive to me. MS really should give us an option to set transparency at the level we prefer (although giving the user design options really isn't in MS's DNA.)

By this I mean more choices than ON or OFF.

What are you talking about? Customization was at the heart of Microsoft software for decades. This new age brought less customization. I'd argue that full customization IS Microsoft's DNA. A big part of me believes the lack of customization on Windows and Windows Phone is due to the constant "start overs" they've been doing the last five years. I truly believe we will see older customization options begins to show their face as W10 seems to be he solid foundation they've been looking to grow on for years now.

Okay, so, my only two gripes about this build are:

Certain non universal apps (I'm looking at you Surface Hub) begin to open and crash at the splash screen. This does not happen with the MSN branded apps, and appears to be random at this point - random on the apps during which it happens. It happens every time to the apps which suffer from this.

Second gripe is that my pen refuses to launch OneNote. I've tried every single suggestion that sharpcolorado and others have posted except uninstalling OneNote - which you can't do. That's the only thing I need to really appreciate this build.

lparsons21

I'm sorry but the more I look at W10 at this stage of the game on the Surface Pro 3, the less I think of it. Overall twitchiness, poor handling of OneDrive, eating batter life like there's no tomorrow just aren't signs of an OS, even a 'preview' that is anywhere close to being ready for the real world. Or at least on MS' flagship the Surface Pro 3. And that is very sad. :(
I'm going back to W8.1 on the SP3 until I start reading many more positive reviews of W10 on the SP3. I'll probably keep it on the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro since it is more stable on it and few things glitch. And while it does eat up battery life quicker than with 8.1, it is at a much reduced rate than on the SP3.
I'll leave feedback to the W10 team.

mitchellvii

What are you talking about? Customization was at the heart of Microsoft software for decades. This new age brought less customization. I'd argue that full customization IS Microsoft's DNA. A big part of me believes the lack of customization on Windows and Windows Phone is due to the constant "start overs" they've been doing the last five years. I truly believe we will see older customization options begins to show their face as W10 seems to be he solid foundation they've been looking to grow on for years now.

Yes, Microsoft "used to" believe in user customization but that died when they replaced menus with ribbons in their Office products. Since then they have gone further and further away from user choices in real time. This is not because of constant "start-overs" but because MS decided when they introduced ribbons that they wanted to be Apple. You see, Apple is not customizable at all and people loved it. Why? Because it was pretty and it was simple. MS tried to go pretty and simple with ribbons and Windows 8, but they just got limited and confusing. Apple simply does easy better.

Unless MS has changed their basic philosophy on this (I see no evidence in Windows 10 that they have), we can expect more of the limited user choices we've "enjoyed" from MS for the past 10 years going forward.

If full customization is Microsoft's DNA, then they need to give up the genetic experiments - they're growing an Apple out of the side of their head.

mitchellvii

I guess that's what has confused me the most about W10. W8.1 was solid in so many ways - it really just needed some fresh tires and a new coat of paint. Fix the Start Menu, make it faster, improve power management and give it a fresh look. Bamm, done. It's like I brought my car in with a flat and they replaced the engine.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I guess that's what has confused me the most about W10. W8.1 was solid in so many ways - it really just needed some fresh tires and a new coat of paint. Fix the Start Menu, make it faster, improve power management and give it a fresh look. Bamm, done. It's like I brought my car in with a flat and they replaced the engine.

Fix, faster, better power management, fresh look. Sure doesn't sound like just a tire replacement to me. To me it sounds like you want a full car upgrade but only want to pay for a tire. But hey, I know nothing of Microsofts actual reasoning, it sounds like you do though.

I'm sorry but the more I look at W10 at this stage of the game on the Surface Pro 3, the less I think of it. Overall twitchiness, poor handling of OneDrive, eating batter life like there's no tomorrow just aren't signs of an OS, even a 'preview' that is anywhere close to being ready for the real world. Or at least on MS' flagship the Surface Pro 3. And that is very sad. :(
I'm going back to W8.1 on the SP3 until I start reading many more positive reviews of W10 on the SP3. I'll probably keep it on the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro since it is more stable on it and few things glitch. And while it does eat up battery life quicker than with 8.1, it is at a much reduced rate than on the SP3.
I'll leave feedback to the W10 team.

I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree. Having tested software for over a decade now, most of the complaints you share are because of a lack of optimization, either at the OS level or firmware related. I have no doubt that any "lag" or "battery issues" will be resolved by launch, especially on their flagship product. With that being said, you're entitled to dislike features, and if you're here bitching about them, I hope you're using the feedback app to make Microsoft aware.

lparsons21

Online only files for onedrive will come at a later date. They are trying to work out a better way to handle it.

While it might actually happen, the simplest way is to just leave the current w8.1 OneDrive app as it is and let the OneDrive folder be the new way. Simple and easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.