What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

rege0039

I did a complete rebuild (deleting 8.1 !) with ISO from 10078 then update to 130 (1 day before 130 ISOs were released, never mind).

Re-installed apps and got startmenu pretty much how I like it (still having problems with pinning web sites from Spartan and playlist from Music, seem to be able to do one per boot).

I'm interested in any comments from people here on;

1) Best full back up strategy, incl what software you use.
2) Any way to back up preferences like start menu etc so they could be restored straight on to a newly installed build

Any comments greatly appreciated, if this has been asked before - sorry, I read this specific thread most days but may have missed it.

bender

Use the integrated functions => Control Panel => Computer => File History => bottom left corner "System Image Backup".

This will make a full System Backup like Acronis TureImage and fortunately it works very fine. It'll make sense to store the image on an external drive!

lparsons21

Had the 074 build. Looked good, but a lot of battery drain and lost WiFi which scared me. So back to 8.1

I noticed that on my SP3 too. Even while supposedly 'sleeping' it still drains the battery. Under use, 10130 drains the battery pretty quickly.

bender

Yeah, this is the worst thing of W10 that huge battery consumption. On 100% brightness, my battery is at 10% after maximum 2-3 hours (surfing, office and music). And in sleep sometimes around 10-15% / hour...!

lparsons21

Yep, they've done something screwey with power management with this build.

And how it works and runs really depends on the machine. On my SP3 build 10130 is twitchy in lots of little irritating ways. On my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro it is much less twitchy and more solid. I have to scratch my head with wonderment as to why the W10 builds seem to do better on everything except the SPs. In a sane world, a company would ensure that their latest and greatest ran better on their flagship computer!!

I just loaded 10130 on the Lenovo last night from the new ISO and haven't had time to see if the power management issues are there on it or not.

mitchellvii

I have to believe that the fan issues, heat and lousy battery life are due to extra overhead from debugging (or something related) happening in the background. It makes no sense that MS would take away the HD Control Panel to give us an extra few minutes of battery life then absolutely murder the battery with crap power management.

I'm hoping this all improves with the final release. If it doesnt, expect reviewers to pound MS ugly. If W10 is in fact lighter, faster and more efficient, using extra power to do so doesn't compute.

mitchellvii

I prefer the transparency level of the sidebar in 8.1 to that used in 10. The sidebar in 10 is so opaque it just feels intrusive to me. MS really should give us an option to set transparency at the level we prefer (although giving the user design options really isn't in MS's DNA.)

By this I mean more choices than ON or OFF.

lhauser

Back in the Win10 camp (yes, I know I'm fickle). Two nights ago I made an image backup of my Win8.1 install, upgraded to 10074 (or whatever). Last night I tried all evening to get the latest update to install, but it wouldn't even start downloading.

This morning I tried again, and behold, it downloaded and installed without a hitch. It's been about an hour since install finished, and the SP3 is running cool with no fan noise, etc.

So far so good, keeping fingers crossed.

lhauser

If you hit Style in Start8 you can choose Default, Start8 or Custom Image.

Ah, interesting, thanks. I guess that's never been clear to me. I've just installed Classic Shell on my mom's new laptop, and she doesn't want to pay for anything she doesn't have to, so I'll be continuing to use it there at least.

Status
Not open for further replies.