What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arktik

Installed Windows 10 from the 10130 ISO microsoft officially released and it feels stable enough for me to feel confident to rely on as daily driver now. The only really issue I am running into is the Notification Center likes not to load. I swipe on right side of screen and nothing. Click the taskbar shortcut and nothing. Eventually though it will come back and work. But then eventually it will stop responding again. Anyone else having that?

Oh, and the start menu moving tiles around is still buggy but workable. Hopefully they get that issue locked down before release.

Side note: The new tablet mode is almost PERFECT. I love using the surface pro 3 on win10 way more with touch than win8.x

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The OneDrive change is due to them merging the Syncing Engine of the consumer and business version, the engine is based on the Business Version because it is the one that has the HIPPA, SOC, EU Safeharbor, etc. Security Compliance Certification.

We will see additional firmware updates prior to RTM that will enable the hybrid connected standby that the SP3 and the S3 uses.

hannytyo

The only really issue I am running into is the Notification Center likes not to load. I swipe on right side of screen and nothing. Click the taskbar shortcut and nothing. Eventually though it will come back and work. But then eventually it will stop responding again. Anyone else having that?

Having the same problem. Notification Center intermittently works if I swipe from right to left. Can't find any solutions at the moment, might be one of th 10130 bug.

ScottyS

The OneDrive change is due to them merging the Syncing Engine of the consumer and business version, the engine is based on the Business Version because it is the one that has the HIPPA, SOC, EU Safeharbor, etc. Security Compliance Certification...
Do you mean HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) compliance? Would this be something one would need to "turn on" or will it automatically be in effect? This would be great for me as I use my SP3 both at home and work and would be able to use OneDrive to move or access files with protected health information from SP3 and my office desktop via OneDrive.
I just hope by Win10 final release they get OneDrive straightened out; I can't even use the OneDrive Explorer interface in Win10 since I set it to reside on my Win8 partition.

rege0039

Use the integrated functions => Control Panel => Computer => File History => bottom left corner "System Image Backup".

This will make a full System Backup like Acronis TureImage and fortunately it works very fine. It'll make sense to store the image on an external drive!

Thanks for the comment.

Doesn't this do a full system image which would therefore overwrite any new Windows build ?

I was hoping for a way to just back up settings (like start menu etc) and all apps (both modern and erm, not !) which I could then put on top of a new Windows 10 clean build to save the work of reinstalling everything. Or have I misunderstood and this image will do that ?

bender

Ah ok. I understand what do you mean. Yeah it is a full system image and if you restore it, it will overwrite the current system! So I think that isn't the solution you've looked for, but Acronis will do it that way you want it!

ScottyS

Having the same problem. Notification Center intermittently works if I swipe from right to left. Can't find any solutions at the moment, might be one of th 10130 bug.
My Notification Center doesn't work intermittently, it doesn't work at all.

wynand32

My Notification Center doesn't work intermittently, it doesn't work at all.

Likely, you (and everyone else complaining about the Notification Center not responding) are experiencing the Windows Explorer crash bug. When it's not responsive, open Task Manager, find Windows Explorer in the list of processes, and then click the Restart button (switches from End Task for Window Explorer only). That should fix things up until the next time it crashes, when you do this again.

MagicPoop

Thankfully there's lots of people trying out win10 on Sp3. Overall, I have the same problems as everyone; higher battery consumption, small start screen glitches, Notification center not opening....

However, the only problem that really bothers me is the overheating... does anyone have a solution or advice to make it better?

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thankfully there's lots of people trying out win10 on Sp3. Overall, I have the same problems as everyone; higher battery consumption, small start screen glitches, Notification center not opening....

However, the only problem that really bothers me is the overheating... does anyone have a solution or advice to make it better?

Just wait. You can try a refresh etc, but I personally am just leaving it be. MS will fix it when they fix it (granted this solution may not be best for someone using theirs at work day in and day out)

As to notification centre, well other than the options at the bottom for brightness etc, I've never used it. Have looked in the past and it just seemed like worthless information to me. Just reiterates what my various pieces of software have already notified me about.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Do you mean HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) compliance? Would this be something one would need to "turn on" or will it automatically be in effect? This would be great for me as I use my SP3 both at home and work and would be able to use OneDrive to move or access files with protected health information from SP3 and my office desktop via OneDrive.
I just hope by Win10 final release they get OneDrive straightened out; I can't even use the OneDrive Explorer interface in Win10 since I set it to reside on my Win8 partition.

Yes, HIPAA, my phone changed the extra letter. OneDrive for Business is HIPAA compliant out of the box....

mitchellvii

Word is that all of the features W10 is going to have are already baked in. All future builds will be tweaks to improve performance, etc. Visually, at least, W10 is what it will be. Period.

So, as I predicted, MS has decided to forgo a huge opportunity to make the Start Menu really something special. Customizable tile faces? Nope. Cool animations of any kind when clicking a tile? Nope. Any hint that MS actually has a graphics department? Nope.

I hope like hell they are still planning to improve upon the current animated tiles. The current version has half the image covered by a big color bar with only half of that displaying text. In other words, 1/4 of the animated tile isn't animated at all and displays no content.

Status
Not open for further replies.