What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, Microsoft "used to" believe in user customization but that died when they replaced menus with ribbons in their Office products. Since then they have gone further and further away from user choices in real time. This is not because of constant "start-overs" but because MS decided when they introduced ribbons that they wanted to be Apple. You see, Apple is not customizable at all and people loved it. Why? Because it was pretty and it was simple. MS tried to go pretty and simple with ribbons and Windows 8, but they just got limited and confusing. Apple simply does easy better.

Unless MS has changed their basic philosophy on this (I see no evidence in Windows 10 that they have), we can expect more of the limited user choices we've "enjoyed" from MS for the past 10 years going forward.

If full customization is Microsoft's DNA, then they need to give up the genetic experiments - they're growing an Apple out of the side of their head.

Do you understand how naive your post sounds? Microsoft wants to be Apple? Microsoft just spent the last year getting every single one of its services on every single competing device in the world. Does that sound like Apple? If it does, maybe you shouldn't be reviewing software.

lparsons21

I'm sorry, but I respectfully disagree. Having tested software for over a decade now, most of the complaints you share are because of a lack of optimization, either at the OS level or firmware related. I have no doubt that any "lag" or "battery issues" will be resolved by launch, especially on their flagship product. With that being said, you're entitled to dislike features, and if you're here bitching about them, I hope you're using the feedback app to make Microsoft aware.

I've tested software for way longer than that, and in fact did some as a paid tester. So I'm well aware of the issues involved. Lag for me isn't an issue as I would expect that if for nothing else, the debug code in test software. The battery issue is different imo. If it was just poor management, it would show up on almost all other computers, but it doesn't in any but a small way. Only on the SP3 in my experience.

And I do provide feedback, it won't get fixed if they don't know about it!

But there is no excuse for the SP3 to be the worst platform for the preview builds, it should be the best.

Nulla

I am having a problem with Cortana win 10 and SP3. When attempting to set a reminder Cortana states that she cannot add things to calendar PC or phone. Is there any settings I can use to make Cortana think of the device as a laptop rather than a PC?

I've tested software for way longer than that, and in fact did some as a paid tester. So I'm well aware of the issues involved. Lag for me isn't an issue as I would expect that if for nothing else, the debug code in test software. The battery issue is different imo. If it was just poor management, it would show up on almost all other computers, but it doesn't in any but a small way. Only on the SP3 in my experience.

But there is no excuse for the SP3 to be the worst platform for the preview builds, it should be the best.

How is it the worst? Have you personally tested it on every platform? Battery is a firmware issue. We had battery issues on Windows 8.1. I went to a workshop yesterday, 8am-4pm. SP3 lasted all day. I'd call that on par with 8.1. It's a firmware issue, sir. On this build, sleep also works flawlessly for me.

cliffr39

I am having a problem with Cortana win 10 and SP3. When attempting to set a reminder Cortana states that she cannot add things to calendar PC or phone. Is there any settings I can use to make Cortana think of the device as a laptop rather than a PC?

I believe that is a known issue

Kris

Do you understand how naive your post sounds? Microsoft wants to be Apple? Microsoft just spent the last year getting every single one of its services on every single competing device in the world. Does that sound like Apple? If it does, maybe you shouldn't be reviewing software.
It's ok to disagree with someone but no need for insults here.

lparsons21

How is it the worst? Have you personally tested it on every platform? Battery is a firmware issue. We had battery issues on Windows 8.1. I went to a workshop yesterday, 8am-4pm. SP3 lasted all day. I'd call that on par with 8.1. It's a firmware issue, sir. On this build, sleep also works flawlessly for me.

If it was a firmware issue then my SP3 would get more than 3 hours on a charge while running. I get 5+ hours under W8.1 on average and oft times longer than that. And I don't see discharging while sleeping with 8.1 either.

Well, unless you have a special firmware upgrade that isn't out in the wild yet.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member

And there is every possibility for change. Only a build ago on my surface, I was getting the normal for me, 8 to 9 hours (generally a very light user,i don't like unneeded things open). This build it is very bad though, but insure given previous performance they will sort it out.

lparsons21

And there is every possibility for change. Only a build ago on my surface, I was getting the normal for me, 8 to 9 hours (generally a very light user,i don't like unneeded things open). This build it is very bad though, but insure given previous performance they will sort it out.

I expect they will sort it all out at some point in time. I will be watching as I have since the first build came out, to see how it progresses. If I had to pick a time to put the full release version on the SP3 it wouldn't be in the first few weeks I suspect.

My Yoga 2 Pro and HP AIO probably will get upgraded first.

Status
Not open for further replies.