What's new

Surface Pro 4 news

Deryl McCarty

I hope that 'big' phones don't fully replace smaller tablets... mainly because I never want a phone bigger than 5" o_O

Sorry, but you WILL when you are 50+...my 1520 is just the right size for me, but jeans front pocket not back. Bright and LARGE print without being forced to pinch it too far. The SP3 is great, but a lighter SP4 at 14" might be even better...but lighter, better battery life, and ... hmmm...how bout the pen working on both the SP4 and the 1520 follow on (Lumia 1620??)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry, but you WILL when you are 50+...my 1520 is just the right size for me, but jeans front pocket not back. Bright and LARGE print without being forced to pinch it too far. The SP3 is great, but a lighter SP4 at 14" might be even better...but lighter, better battery life, and ... hmmm...how bout the pen working on both the SP4 and the 1520 follow on (Lumia 1620??)

Sorry, but you MAY when you are 50+. My parents are elderly and both have no issue using old blackberries, my fathers being used all day every day for emails etc for his mediation business. He flat refuses to buy anything bigger or newer, and his eye sight isn't even that good, has a pair of glasses for near everything.

vsherry

To me, if the SP3 were any bigger, it would be unwieldy as a tablet. A 14-inch Surface is no longer the tablet that can replace your laptop.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
To me, if the SP3 were any bigger, it would be unwieldy as a tablet. A 14-inch Surface is no longer the tablet that can replace your laptop.
Clearly some people don't want a Tablet that can replace their laptop they want a laptop that's lighter or they want a desktop that's portable, or with gaming class graphics, or DSLR & Video camera features. Everybody wants something different yet there's only One SP3 (Actually only one Surface at all now). Why can't Windows users accept a single device as the only option like Apple users. :) Probably for similar reasons Linux users can't accept one version of Linux and insist on hundreds of different versions. Henry Ford had a vision; you can have any Model T you want as long as its black, one product one color. Eventually the Model T ran iPad will run it's course and people get choice but profits will fall. :)

mohcho

I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro and it's acting like a mini Surface tablet for me right now. I have Windows 10 technical preview on it and it's working quite well. I see no reason why MS would need a smaller tablet form factor if you have devices like the Venue 8 Pro filling that gap.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a Dell Venue 8 Pro and it's acting like a mini Surface tablet for me right now. I have Windows 10 technical preview on it and it's working quite well. I see no reason why MS would need a smaller tablet form factor if you have devices like the Venue 8 Pro filling that gap.
By that logic if Dell or HP or whoever makes a 12.1 tablet then there's no need for a Surface of that size.

CrippsCorner

I have an eye disorder which means I have worse eyesight than most! Due to a failed operation I'm currently almost completely blind in my left eye... I'm still fine with my 4.7" though :) I just hold it closer!

My mum's in her 60's and has a smaller phone than me!

kundas1

what I find silly is people wanting all kinds of outlandish "wants" for the SP4... super gaming tablet that runs all games in high settings and connect 5 monitors, (4K at that) and want 0% throttling in a paper thin casing!! people want technology super advanced NOW LOL
people seem to forget about cause and effect... thin tablet with full CPU means your gonna have heating issues!

mohcho

By that logic if Dell or HP or whoever makes a 12.1 tablet then there's no need for a Surface of that size.

Dell or HP missed the mark with the 12.1 tablet market though. Microsoft made the jump with the Surface line and have paved the way for it. When I look at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 12.2, the first thing I wonder is why they didn't build in a kickstand?

I was using my Venue 8 and I was wishing it had a built in kickstand, but I have a feeling I'll have to get a folio sort of case for it.

There must be a reason why they killed the Surface 2 line to make way for something new/else.

bluegrass

It would be more correct to say the RT line. The SP3 & the SP4 line is a continuation of the SP & the SP1 Surfaces. SP line is for from dead. It's taken a long time but people or now realizing how friggin' great of product the Surface Pro has grown to be. I thought it was great from the time I purchased my first Surface back in the fall of 2012.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Will be interesting to see if anything fancy or new happens with the display on the SP4, just read that MS have acquired n-trig for $200m