What's new

Surface Pro 4 news

SteveMac

I'm only just getting used to my SP3.......how dare they "not offically" have another thing for me to purchase.

B

B'midbar

I bought an ipad air 2. Holding a tiny little tablet like that is very different to holding an sp3 one handed. Nope, sorry, i couldn't care if it doesn't look as flash, i like having a bezel to grip :)

Plus we have to be conscious of "where" and "how" we grab it, the pressure of our thumb(s), etc. (e.g. - breaking the glass by the camera).

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Soon there will be pills you can take to grow little suction cups on the tips of your fingers for gripping. :D

CrippsCorner

7.5" Surface Mini please! Would be so perfect... especially with the Windows 10 plans they're making. That, or a Surface Phone, come on :)

bluegrass

The next generation of smart phones, with there larger sizes, should spell the end of the small tablets. I personally think the SP3 is pretty damn close to being the ideal tablet. If the rumors or correct that the new Intel chip set they might use is less powerful than what we can get in the SP3, than I can't see myself upgrading.

Why bother with a chipset that is less powerful and only a 30% savings in power. The CPU is only portion of what runs down the battery. I can't see Microsoft being stupid enough not to make a major upgrade in power with the SP4. I would like to see it add a little lighter, a 2nd USB3 port, a new revision of the HDMI standard video output, more memory capability, & a little sturdier keyboard.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
The next generation of smart phones, with there larger sizes, should spell the end of the small tablets.

I personally doubt it. If i want a phone, i want a good one, and for a good phablet, you're normally looking at a LOT of money. So unless they start selling high end phablets by high end manufacturers for less than £200, then it's just not going to happen. Not to mention i have no desire for a phablet whatsoever. I played around with a friends note 4 and sure it's nice, but not a chance i'd have something that big as a phone, my htc m7 is big enough as it is. I have absolutely no usage case in a phone for a screen that large.

Haldi

if i could wish i'd ask for a 35W TDP SoC and an active cooled dock! So on the run you have normal 15W Power profile, and back at home you can plug it into the Dock and use it at full performance :)
But i guess that would be a huge design problem, as the heat from the CPU would also affect the display ^^

jimk

Apple did it with the iPad Air - it's all a question of algorithm adjustment to detect constant pressure vs a mere touch, swipe, or flick.

I just placed my iPad Air 2 in front of the Surface Pro 3 and, in landscape, the side bezels are actually thicker on the iPad Air 2. The top and bottom bezels are slightly larger on the SP3, but that's where the SP3 webcam is.

CrippsCorner

I hope that 'big' phones don't fully replace smaller tablets... mainly because I never want a phone bigger than 5" o_O