What's new

So... Windows 11!

Markc79

I'm quite excited to see the advent of a new version of Windows, although marginally cautious, as traditionally we don't get three top notch versions in a row! Does anyone know whether there will be a version of Windows 11 native to ARM, and whether this might include solutions to some of the frustrating compatibility issues that we on the bleeding edge have had to deal with (SPX - I'm looking at you!)?

AMS

I ran the compatibility tool, and it looks like NO WINDOWS 11 FOR ME (at least not on my SP3--it'll run just fine on my SL3). It would be nice to know which part of my machine fails the requirements, but the CT doesn't give that, so...

I do plan to go to Win 11 on my Surface Laptop pretty quickly.

AMS

I ran the compatibility tool, and it looks like NO WINDOWS 11 FOR ME (at least not on my SP3--it'll run just fine on my SL3). It would be nice to know which part of my machine fails the requirements, but the CT doesn't give that, so...

I do plan to go to Win 11 on my Surface Laptop pretty quickly.
I should point out, though, that my SP3 is the absolutely minimal machine I use for travel--i3/4/64. So it may well be that an SP3 with an i5 or i7 will update to Win11, even though mine *sob* won't.

You can see the hardware requirements here: Windows 11 Specifications - Microsoft

A couple of things to check are whether the graphics are WDDM 2.0 and Direct X 12 compatible, whether the Trust module is TPM 2.0 and whether the BIOS is UEFI/Secure Boot. The i3 shouldn't be an issue unless the clock speed is < 1 GHz.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There seems to be a lot of chatter about various Surface devices failing the Compatibility Checker.

I have a hunch it's tripping over identifying the UEFI. it's early ... They will get it sorted out.

The other common possibility is the CPU ... At this stage, there are a lot of CPUs not on the approved list that seem like they should qualify so there's possibly more to come ... Will Just have to wait and see...

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
There seems to be a lot of chatter about various Surface devices failing the Compatibility Checker.

I have a hunch it's tripping over identifying the UEFI. it's early ... They will get it sorted out.

The other common possibility is the CPU ... At this stage, there are a lot of CPUs not on the approved list that seem like they should qualify so there's possibly more to come ... Will Just have to wait and see...
Update: The tool seems to be flagging incompatibility according to "soft" requirements. For Surfaces that mainly means any Intel Core CPU below 8th Gen is flagged as incompatible. i3/5/7-8xxx and higher are OK, lower 7xxx, 6xxx, 5xxx, 4xxx are flagged, they may run it though.

jimmur

I have a Surface Pro 6 with with I7, 16 GB Ram and it says I can't run Windows 11!! How does that make any sense?

ScottyS

Now that I got used to the large live tiles and spent time arranging them into groups that are useful to me, MS went and did away with that. Thanks Microsoft.

They have upgraded the PC Health Check App to get rid of false negatives and to tell you why it isn't upgradable when that is the case.
Download V2.3 of the app for these new features.

Charlie