What's new

Pen intermittently working

Jordi32

I have had my Surface Pro 3 for a little less than a month. In the last week the pen suddenly stops working from time to time. After waiting for a few seconds it starts working again. I mainly use it as a mouse. Has anyone else experienced the same behavior? Could the pen batteries already be running low in less than a month?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Jordi

KenK

I am having the same issue with the pen while using it the same way you describe. I also have had my Surface Pro 3 for less than a month. I haven't tried it, but I do have experience with AAAA batteries in a penlight. I am ordering Eveready brand battery to replace the cheap Chinese Battery that came with the pen. Then I go to the Microsoft Kiosk if it doesn't work.

ScottyS

I have the same issue. I replaced the pen with a new battery but no luck
Changing the battery is worth a try. Mine started working for a few minutes and then died, but worked again after a while for several days as the battery was going.
Others have solved pen problems by pulling out the nib and then re-inserting it (I guess that's easier to try first).

wditters

Same here. Struggled for weeks, ended up having it replaced by Microsoft. Has been flawless ever since.

Jay Marino

I have replaced the battery and replaced the pen and neither worked. I'm pretty sure I would need to replace the whole SP3 and I'm just not going to do that . Too much work to put everything back on here.

rquellet

I have replaced the battery and replaced the pen and neither worked. I'm pretty sure I would need to replace the whole SP3 and I'm just not going to do that . Too much work to put everything back on here.

Windows 8.1 has a built in bit for bit backup utility that you can use to back up your Surface. Back it up to a USB hard drive or NAS, get a replacement from Microsoft, and reapply the backup on your replacement Surface.