What's new

SP3 Pen - Have to press very hard!

vxm

But am I correct in thinking that if I'd uninstalled the drivers correctly the pen shouldn't function at all?

Can't tell for sure, but most of the times if you uninstall driver for pen input it works but doesn't have pressure sensitivity in any software. At least with wacom's devices it works that way- pen acts like mouse input then, so even the lightest stroke has full effect. I can confirm that on Wacom feel devices like Thinkpad Yoga as I did test that there and on traditional drawing tablets.

Pen requires the AAAA battery to function. The two cell batteries are for nothing else than the bluetooth button on the top.

There is not that much tech going on in the pen, perhaps it is actually something like a surface hardware/software problem. One of the reasons i say this is that there a number of instances, e.g fresh paint (for me at least) where the pen works perfectly everywhere, but try and paint a line in freshpaint and you pretty much have to put the pen through the screen for anything solid to be drawn.

Thanks for clarifying that, I wasn't sure of their functions!

OP
D

Dellaclearing

Bizarrely, my Surface did an automatic update the other day and all of a sudden the pen was working fine!

Now that I think of it, I think it may have been after a previous automatic update that it stopped working! I would've thought though that if it was due to an update then more users would've been affected!

Glad to have my pen back! Thanks for your help and assistance everyone!

Reactions: vxm

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bizarrely, my Surface did an automatic update the other day and all of a sudden the pen was working fine!

Now that I think of it, I think it may have been after a previous automatic update that it stopped working! I would've thought though that if it was due to an update then more users would've been affected!

Glad to have my pen back! Thanks for your help and assistance everyone!
You probably fell into the Windows Update - Random User Settings Futzed Up Beyond All Recognition (WURUSFUBAR) worm hole. Welcome back, you are so lucky.

OP
D

Dellaclearing

So it seems I spoke too soon! The pen was working perfectly but Windows performed another automatic update this week and has completely wiped out my pen again!

This time I have no cursor hovering on screen, nothing happens no matter how hard I press, nothing at all. The purple button works if I press it though!

Anyone else experiencing problems since the latest update?

vxm

Which update are you referring too? Last time I checked (around Friday) I didn't have anything available. I recently had some weird problems with pen (in certain parts of screen cursor would jump to bottom edge drawing straight line)- I had to uninstall both Intel driver and pen driver and download update again. Now I'm stuck with some funny graphics driver that made all dark greys and black look purple, but pen is working as intended.

noiram

Not sure if you have found a fix for this or not, but I was having the same issue and was able to resolve it. What I did was held down the top button "eraser looking thingy" and while holding that down, I tapped the button closest to the eraser, where your index finger normally goes. It seems like its some sort of setting you can change for firmness.