What's new

How to get the advertised 9 hours of video playback

kundas1

not to be a smart @ss but are you really going to watch 9 hours of movies, let alone 7 or 5? why are you so concerned about getting 9 HOURS of play back? is it really THAT important to you? like JNJROACH and leeshor has stated, there is soo many factors in play why your not getting the 9 hours... also I think the MS employee just wanted to make sure you were happy and so just replaced it without hassling you... I don't think it had anything to do with wide spread problems.. some give you hassles more than others and you were probably lucky to get one that was easy going ;)

OP
S

Surface49

It is unlikely that I will ever be on a plane, bus, or train ride that will be 9 hours, BUT, this past summer, I was on a 3 hour train ride and was looking forward to watching a movie that was a little less than 2 hours in length, but the battery died after one hour and 22 minutes! It is clear that something was wrong and I needed a fix or a replacement. The defective battery was causing other issues as well. My young nephews were recently playing games with the surface in an area of the house without power outlets, and the battery was dying sometime between an hour and a half and two hours of usage. Now that my new unit has 5x the battery capacity of the defective surface, there will NEVER be an issue with it running out of battery life while my nephews are playing games, as long as it give it to them fully charged.

To conclude and to answer your question, am not so concerned with getting 9 hours of video playback—this was just the title of my thread. It could have been worded something like, WFT is wrong with my battery and what can be done to resolve it.

kundas1

I wasn't talking about your first device, as that obviously had a defective battery which I gathered from your first post, I was talking about your second device that you were so intently trying to get the 9 hours battery life that MS advertised... which for future reference you should NEVER go by what these tech companies try to boast because it is SO contrived that it isn't funny LOL the circumstances that got them 9 hours was so unbelievably unrealistic doesn't make it viable to you and I ;)

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wasn't talking about your first device, as that obviously had a defective battery which I gathered from your first post, I was talking about your second device that you were so intently trying to get the 9 hours battery life that MS advertised... which for future reference you should NEVER go by what these tech companies try to boast because it is SO contrived that it isn't funny LOL the circumstances that got them 9 hours was so unbelievably unrealistic doesn't make it viable to you and I ;)

Was perfectly viable for me :) (although it is an i5 not i7)

kundas1

ok so what settings did you have to do to make the 9 hours? I'm betting you had to do ridiculous stuff to get the 9 hours and even at that I can guarantee you didn't get 9 full hours... sorry no offence but I don't believe you and even then you would have to show me with my own eyes lol I couldn't even get 8 hours on my surface 2 and that is WAY less power hungry than the SP3..

ScottyS

I know one way to get 9 hours of battery use, but it requires traveling at 0.9 the speed of light.

OP
S

Surface49

Maybe a Microsoft tech turned the brightness down to 5% and watched the movie with night vision goggles. :) :) My life is so boring that I am going to try sliding the brightness WAY down to almost dark, play a movie for 90 minutes and report the battery drainage here. I think I may be on to something :) :) :)

kundas1

don't forget to turn of your wifi, BT and stop all background running stuff and yes turning down brightness so low that you need night vision goggles will also help LOL then you JUST MIGHT get your 9 hrs ;)