What's new

MS website claims up to 9 hours of video?

gman713

Is this right? I discharged my battery once since getting it for Christmas and the most I can get watching videos (using the "Microsoft Edge" browser) is about 5-6 hours before I get the low battery alert. After that, it tells me I have about 10 minutes left. Is this normal and if so, shouldn't Microsoft revise their test findings on their site? I also am using the i5 256 gb version.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
That test (9hr.) was with a standard benchmark which has been reproduced. All videos are not created equal and wont play the same.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would guess they didn't use Ede either.
I'm sure there were no background tasks running and it was a static page video, no ads, scripts, etc. They didn't dice, slice, and make Julienne fries or run Windows Update while playing the video.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
What variance in power usage will there be between playing a video from the ssd and streaming it? which then also includes the difference in power between running say VLC compared to a browser.

OP
G

gman713

I don't know if this makes a difference, but I was streaming Amazon video through the Edge Browser. I had nothing running in the background that I was aware of and did not have any other applications open. I wonder if they got 9 hours by just running a regular .MP4 video without streaming?

leeshor

I'm sure there were no background tasks running and it was a static page video, no ads, scripts, etc. They didn't dice, slice, and make Julienne fries or run Windows Update while playing the video.
I was think more along the lines of streaming as opposed to a locally stored video. The OP has since answered that.

leeshor

I don't know if this makes a difference, but I was streaming Amazon video through the Edge Browser. I had nothing running in the background that I was aware of and did not have any other applications open. I wonder if they got 9 hours by just running a regular .MP4 video without streaming?
I downloaded an MP4 file from DropBox. It wasn't very long, maybe 30 minutes, but it didn't appear to use much more battery than most of the other "stuff" I do locally.

I could maybe get 4-5 hours playing back using windows player or VLC player (Tried both versions. The regular .exe and the app version).

DavidZ

Call me an optimist, but I'm hoping that once Microsoft gets their act together and fixes the Surface firmware, Windows 10, MS Edge, etc. to make them more efficient, the SP4 will achieve battery times closer to the 9 hours mark they claim for the product.

I'm not saying that I will regret buying the SP4 if they don't. But it would be great if they ultinately match their claim.

It seems to me that Microsoft has a lot riding on the SP4. It's their flagship product that showcases Windows 10, like no other product. If they can't come close to their 9 hour claim, they damage their brand significantly, IMO.