What's new

Surface Pro 4 Memory Error When Shutting Down

dahopkins

My wife gets the following error on her new SP4 when shutting down now (see attachment): : "The instruction at 0x0007ff6bf1f8732 referenced memory at 0x0000000000000030. The memory could not be written."

She uses this for her Engineering course, so it has National Instrument Launcher and MultiSim 14.0 and Ultiboard 14.0, Capliano Copmputing LogicWorks 4.1, jGRASP, SQLite 3 SnagIt, Cadence 17.2, MinGW, TI-NSpire CX CAS Student Software and Computer Link and FireFox.

I have used Ubuntu for the last few years so no longer keep up on this Windows stuff, far fewer issues like this. So treat me as a newbie as far as Windows is concerned. Yes, I have to use Windows at work, but if I have any issues there IT fixes it.

I must state I do not particularly like Windows 7 and up, too many compatibility issues with our older systems and software at the Electronics Systems manufacturing plant where I work. Probably why all of our systems that do not need to be on the network still run XP and earlier.

Dwayne Hopkins

Attachments

• MEM_ERROR.JPG
    MEM_ERROR.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 647

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, there @dahopkins ,

Here is how to track that down:

1) Terminate each of the programs you mention individually. See if the error pops up after one of them stops. If it does, you know which is causing the problem.

If the error does not appear, then:

2) Terminate all but one. Then shut down Windows. Look for the error. If the error does not occur, start Windows back up, terminate a different one, look for the error.

This method is tedious, but straightforward. Let us know ...

OP
D

dahopkins

These programs are not running at the time, all she is doing is shutting down or restarting the computer. I suppose some component could be running NI is bad at that. I'll see what is running in the background and try terminating them but knowing windows it will be a bunch of junk, 99% of which I will have no idea what they are...

ScottyS

I get this sometimes, but it usually flashes on the screen during shut down so quick I cant tell if it's always at the same memory location. I always assume there's a bad bit of RAM.
Is it always at the same memory location?
(I,BTW, don't seem to have any problems. I don't have any apps that crash (as it might while running and trying to address a bad RAM)

aheadshare

You have to take memory out and try it with other laptop. If it is ok if not it is vga card on board break

Gửi từ HTC Desire 728G dual sim của tôi bằng cách sử dụng Tapatalk

OP
D

dahopkins

I get this sometimes, but it usually flashes on the screen during shut down so quick I cant tell if it's always at the same memory location. I always assume there's a bad bit of RAM.
Is it always at the same memory location?
(I,BTW, don't seem to have any problems. I don't have any apps that crash (as it might while running and trying to address a bad RAM)
No apps crash just get this error, at same memory location, each time. If it is bad memory then Microsoft needs to replace it, this is a new computer.

OP
D

dahopkins

Hi, there @dahopkins ,

Here is how to track that down:

1) Terminate each of the programs you mention individually. See if the error pops up after one of them stops. If it does, you know which is causing the problem.

If the error does not appear, then:

2) Terminate all but one. Then shut down Windows. Look for the error. If the error does not occur, start Windows back up, terminate a different one, look for the error.

This method is tedious, but straightforward. Let us know ...

These programs are not running when she shuts down, So we cannot shut them down. I've worked with Windows enough to know that shutting it down with programs running is just asking for trouble, so we shut everything down before shutting off the SF4. I'll see if there is some background component running for any of these, NI is bad at that, and try shutting them down.

Of course, as I recall, Windows has hundreds of things running in the background, many with obscure "names", so finding the right things to shut down will be a challenge.

I will have to find a time to do this, however, because as I said my wife uses it for school.

OP
D

dahopkins

You have to take memory out and try it with other laptop. If it is ok if not it is vga card on board break

Gửi từ HTC Desire 728G dual sim của tôi bằng cách sử dụng Tapatalk

Sorry, don't have another compatible laptop laying around to try that with. Besides, this is new so I really do not want to open it up for this sort of thing. If this keeps up and we cannot find a resolution, we will just get it replaced.