What's new

Event 86 Kernel-Power Randomly shuts down Surface Book 2

bilalarxd

Everything was normal then I got an update and I started getting Attached and Ready To Detach messages when I see Event Viewer I got "Dtx failed to enumerate DGpu" I searched online for solution and solution was to be on latest updates for Windows and Surface Firmware. So I updated Windows to 1809 17134.984, surface firmware also updated with Windows. Now "attach and detach" messages are no more but I am experiencing random shutdowns I haven't installed any software yet just chrome and reason in Event Viewer is

Error 8/25/2019 11:13:13 AM Kernel-Power 86 (83)
The system was shut down due to a critical thermal event.
Shutdown Time = ‎2019‎-‎08‎-‎25T18:13:13.199968400Z
ACPI Thermal Zone = Intel(R) Dynamic Platform Thermal Framework

Anyone experiencing this or any solution???

upload_2019-8-25_11-41-28.png

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Everything was normal then I got an update and I started getting Attached and Ready To Detach messages when I see Event Viewer I got "Dtx failed to enumerate DGpu" I searched online for solution and solution was to be on latest updates for Windows and Surface Firmware. So I updated Windows to 1809 17134.984, surface firmware also updated with Windows. Now "attach and detach" messages are no more but I am experiencing random shutdowns I haven't installed any software yet just chrome and reason in Event Viewer is

View attachment 9281
Unfortunately it is a bug in the latest round of Firmware updates and MS is working on the fix, it has to do with Intel's Thermal Detection

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
My Surface Book 2 shut down one time after an update (Insider version 20H1) with the "Thermometer" image on the screen. Computer was nice and cool at the time. A simple restart seems to have solved the problem.

But you may be stuck with a bad firmware right now. Two things to try:

1) Update your Surface to 1903 here.
2) Start Task Manager and disable every process listed in the Startup tab. If that works without this thermal shutdown, start enabling processes and restart until you find a culprit which may 'tickle' the firmware bug.

OP
B

bilalarxd

My Surface Book 2 shut down one time after an update (Insider version 20H1) with the "Thermometer" image on the screen. Computer was nice and cool at the time. A simple restart seems to have solved the problem.

But you may be stuck with a bad firmware right now. Two things to try:

1) Update your Surface to 1903 here.
2) Start Task Manager and disable every process listed in the Startup tab. If that works without this thermal shutdown, start enabling processes and restart until you find a culprit which may 'tickle' the firmware bug.

I already cleared every process from the startup but nothing helps. Right now trying to update it to 1903, will keep you posted if it works. Thanks

carlos masaya

View attachment 9281

Hi, i have the same problem, but without the same log error, did you solve your issue?

OP
B

bilalarxd

Hi, i have the same problem, but without the same log error, did you solve your issue?

Hi, No unfortunately there isn't any resolution, I have tried many things with it.

- Setting Max CPU usuage to 40%
- Installing Different OS versions with different Firmware
- Installing different version of NVidia Driver

Right now only fix I have is start a fan and target it to the back of the surface and it's working.

I am waiting for new update now.