What's new

Surface event yesterday!

CrippsCorner

Hi all been a while since I've been on here :) good event yesterday; just wondered your thoughts?

I've been running a Surface 2017 since it came out so am looking forward to upgrading to a Pro 8 this autumn. Probably the cheapest one going mind you seeing as though prices have increased across the board :(

• Anyone have experience with an external GPU? I wouldn't mind being able to plug something in to play Half Life: Alyx
  • Are they still fanless!? I can't see information either way, I hope so on the i5 at least...

Surface Duo looks good though I've not seen one in the wild yet. I hope it catches on but somehow I think it'll fade away... and how about that new Laptop Studio? Looks immense but way out of my price range.

wpcoe

I've been anxiously awaiting the SP8, so watched the event live on Twit with Paul Thurrott & Leo. Watching with the two of them commenting was reminiscent of watching Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Aside from the SP8, I found the most compelling part of the event to be the focus on disability/accessibility. The fellow commenting that we all are going to be disabled eventually, it's just a matter of time was somewhat disconcerting because it's true! I applaud Microsoft (which I don't do often) for their efforts in this area, and the fact that they made it a prominent feature in the Surface Event.

Some SP8 trivia I've learned in the flurry of blogs & videos after the Surface Event:
  • the SP8 will have a slightly newer/faster i5 CPU in the units sold "for business" (an i5-1145G7 for commercial, i5-1135G7 for consumer) and an i3 is only available for commercial customers ( the i7 is the same in both markets )
  • the i5 and i7 both have active cooling now (i.e. they both have fans), not sure about the i3
  • the SP8 is a little taller, a little narrower, and just a tad thicker and heavier than SP7
  • the consumer SP8 comes with Win 11 Home, whereas commercial comes with either Win 11 Pro or Win 10 Pro
  • SP3/4/5/6/7 keyboards are not compatible with SP8, SP8 keyboards are only compatible with SPX
  • the SP8 can be charged either via Surface Connect port or USB-C
  • LTE (not 5G) models will be launched later, but only for commercial customers, and will be available with i3/i5/i7
  • the volume rocker switch is located on the left side of the frame, versus on the top as on previous SPs
  • the headphone jack is lower on the side (below the volume rocker switch)
  • there has been no mention anywhere of SD card storage, so I think that's gone on the SP8?
(Not to forum mods: Maybe it's time to create a Surface 8 sub-forum? )

OP
CrippsCorner

CrippsCorner

Thanks for the notes. That's a real shame about the fans as it's one of my favourite features about my 2017 model! Seems like a backwards step?

Luckily I invested in a NAS last year so the need for additional storage is negated, which is really lucky seeing as though they seemed to have removed the SD card slot.

I see they've not added NHS discount to the Pro... although they have for the new Go. That's pretty frustrating too! I'm sure it'll be a good upgrade but there sure are a few sacrifices this time around.

kojack

Yep - It's running mostly fine, some reboots entering S0iX

I've been anxiously awaiting the SP8, so watched the event live on Twit with Paul Thurrott & Leo. Watching with the two of them commenting was reminiscent of watching Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Aside from the SP8, I found the most compelling part of the event to be the focus on disability/accessibility. The fellow commenting that we all are going to be disabled eventually, it's just a matter of time was somewhat disconcerting because it's true! I applaud Microsoft (which I don't do often) for their efforts in this area, and the fact that they made it a prominent feature in the Surface Event.

Some SP8 trivia I've learned in the flurry of blogs & videos after the Surface Event:
  • the SP8 will have a slightly newer/faster i5 CPU in the units sold "for business" (an i5-1145G7 for commercial, i5-1135G7 for consumer) and an i3 is only available for commercial customers ( the i7 is the same in both markets )
  • the i5 and i7 both have active cooling now (i.e. they both have fans), not sure about the i3
  • the SP8 is a little taller, a little narrower, and just a tad thicker and heavier than SP7
  • the consumer SP8 comes with Win 11 Home, whereas commercial comes with either Win 11 Pro or Win 10 Pro
  • SP3/4/5/6/7 keyboards are not compatible with SP8, SP8 keyboards are only compatible with SPX
  • the SP8 can be charged either via Surface Connect port or USB-C
  • LTE (not 5G) models will be launched later, but only for commercial customers, and will be available with i3/i5/i7
  • the volume rocker switch is located on the left side of the frame, versus on the top as on previous SPs
  • the headphone jack is lower on the side (below the volume rocker switch)
  • there has been no mention anywhere of SD card storage, so I think that's gone on the SP8?
(Not to forum mods: Maybe it's time to create a Surface 8 sub-forum? )
Agreed on the accessibility portion. His story was sad but inspiring at the same time. My son has autism. I never hold him back from ANYTHING he wants to do. I love the fact that Microsoft hire people with challenges and prominently feature them. Unlike the fruit company where they are trying to scan kids to see if they have autism or not. What kind of EFF'ed up thought process is that? I mean, SERIOUSLY. Thank you Microsoft for inclusion in your company and products. My son's iPad is leaving the stable for a new surface tablet with LTE. I cannot wat to give him that and what him flourish with new creativity. Instead of being sucked into the apple vortex.