What's new

Surface Book 2

Sadsaytr

Hi All. My Surface Book 2 won't turn off, nor can I reinstall Windows.
The only way to turn it off is just ignore it the battery runs out. I tried doing a reset and it locked up again. Can't turn it off from the button, track pad does not work.
I am assuming it is the drive since it does power up and does allow me to try to reset. I guess it could be RAM but doubt it.
I am open to any ideas on how to fix the problem and if it is fixable. I hate to recycle this laptop as It has been great, and this is the first issue I'v had with it.

Many Many Thanks in Advance!!!!

OP
S

Sadsaytr

@Plantje - I am unable to separate the two. The LED lights, but there is no click. When trying to separate by pulling, LED is on.

@ sharpuser - Holding the power button down does not work, and the monitor stays on till the battery is empty.

Plantje

@Plantje - I am unable to separate the two. The LED lights, but there is no click. When trying to separate by pulling, LED is on.
Ahum, of course you cannot detach the clipboard from the dock! It is different from a Surface Pro.

Holding down the power button for a longer period should always work. Do you get into Windows?

OP
S

Sadsaytr

@Plantje, (LOL) I should have read closer. My device is a Surface Book 2. I discovered that I could turn the Surface Book off via the button on top, I just have to hold it down long enough.

@sharpuser - So most likely the problem is in the keyboard?? I don't see obvious signs of water damage, but my granddaughter would have been smart enough to wipe it off.

When I charge the Surface Book, it will boot. but won't/can't read the MS Win 10 USB thumb drive. By tapping the F8 key, I got into a screen that allowed me to set the USB port as the boot port.
What should I try next??

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
@Plantje, (LOL) I should have read closer. My device is a Surface Book 2. I discovered that I could turn the Surface Book off via the button on top, I just have to hold it down long enough.

@sharpuser - So most likely the problem is in the keyboard?? I don't see obvious signs of water damage, but my granddaughter would have been smart enough to wipe it off.

When I charge the Surface Book, it will boot. but won't/can't read the MS Win 10 USB thumb drive. By tapping the F8 key, I got into a screen that allowed me to set the USB port as the boot port.
What should I try next??

Make sure you eject any SD card.

You can force ejection of the keyboard this way:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
You may be able to boot up properly into Windows using the clipboard only. The keyboard unit (which supplies keys and most of the battery) would be the likely problem if there was water damage.