What's new

SP3 versus MacBookAir - My Thoughts

LaramieJoe

So, I keep a MBA next to my LazyBoy (aptly named) for quick research on IMDB, etc. I keep an SP3 in my briefcase for work and travel. Some observations:
  1. The MBA wakes from sleep instantly when the cover is opened. The SP3 never does. I have to tap the power button.
  2. The MBA power supply turns green when the battery is charged. The SP3 does not. I would love to see this feature on future power supplies.
  3. The MBA battery will last, in sleep mode, for days. The SP3? Maybe 1/2 a day.
  4. The MBA screen brightness setting does not seem to effect the battery life. For the SP3, maybe a little.
  5. The MBA is perfect for lap surfing. The SP3, not so much.
  6. The MBA has multiple USB ports and a nice trackpad. The SP3 has just the one, and with a small trackpad (and my fat hands), I use the single port for an external mouse. I know I could use a Bluetooth mouse, but that drains the battery even faster.
And so, why do I even keep the SP3 around? Because I love the darn thing. I love the screen resolution, the pen, the tablet-ability, and (all things being equal) I am in love with Windows 10.

But I gotta tell you, the battery drain on the SP3 stretches my patience, which for now lasts a little longer than the battery on the SP3. Any claims by MSFT of long battery life are specious in my opinion.

jrioux

So, I keep a MBA next to my LazyBoy (aptly named) for quick research on IMDB, etc. I keep an SP3 in my briefcase for work and travel. Some observations...
Good observations, Joe. I totally agree with you that the SP5 should have 1) more ports - two USB-C/Thunderbolt ports would be wonderful, 2) a light that shows when it's fully charged and 3) longer battery life - though my SP3's battery does last longer than yours. However, I disagree with your lap surfing assessment. I think the SP3 is great for lap surfing - as a tablet. Try it. You may like it. Jerry

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Item 4 seems rather laughable. Of course it effects battery life, unless apple managed to bypass the laws of science.

And your device is not performing as intended regarding battery life. My partners sp3 and my S3 perform little different to any android or apple tablet we've owned and used.

OP
LaramieJoe

LaramieJoe

Item 4 seems rather laughable. Of course it effects battery life, unless apple managed to bypass the laws of science.

And your device is not performing as intended regarding battery life. My partners sp3 and my S3 perform little different to any android or apple tablet we've owned and used.
Laugh all you want, but that is my experience. :) I suppose I could have been more precise: The indicated remaining battery life is a most reliable indicator of remaining life no matter what brightness setting I have the MBA on. Yes, I could get a lot more life by dimming the display - that is true of any device. My point was that I could rely on the read-out far more than I can rely on the SP3's indication. Anyway, no biggee.

OP
LaramieJoe

LaramieJoe

Good observations, Joe. I totally agree with you that the SP5 should have 1) more ports - two USB-C/Thunderbolt ports would be wonderful, 2) a light that shows when it's fully charged and 3) longer battery life - though my SP3's battery does last longer than yours. However, I disagree with your lap surfing assessment. I think the SP3 is great for lap surfing - as a tablet. Try it. You may like it. Jerry
Thank you for your kind reply. I will indeed try out lap-surfing this evening!

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Laugh all you want, but that is my experience. :) I suppose I could have been more precise: The indicated remaining battery life is a most reliable indicator of remaining life no matter what brightness setting I have the MBA on. Yes, I could get a lot more life by dimming the display - that is true of any device. My point was that I could rely on the read-out far more than I can rely on the SP3's indication. Anyway, no biggee.

That makes a lot more sense. Yes, the battery remaining indicator on windows is next to worthless. I thought you meant that it did not effect the actual life of the battery.

Afy

I really struggle to see the point of the MBA. A single port for everything..
Then again I am no fan of the cult of crApple.