What's new

Battery Drain on Sleep

souldier

Anyone here notice a really significant battery drain when they put their surface pro to sleep? I left my tablet on sleep overnight and woke up with 10% battery left. In contrast, I tried an acer w700 that loses hardly any power at all when in sleep mode

dleuen

Yeah, I've noticed my battery drops about 7-10% if I leave it in sleep mode overnight. I started powering it off at night. I wonder if it's Windows update going out to check or something like that. Would be good to find out what is causing the drain. I did leave the type cover attached but I wouldn't think that would draw any power.

vook

Yeah, I've noticed my battery drops about 7-10% if I leave it in sleep mode overnight. I started powering it off at night. I wonder if it's Windows update going out to check or something like that. Would be good to find out what is causing the drain. I did leave the type cover attached but I wouldn't think that would draw any power.
The type cover is not draining power and your pc is not waking to update. Sleep (as opposed to hibernate) is a low power standby mode, but still uses power in order to hold the RAM in a steady state and allow quick wake up. 7-10% is pretty good overnight
You can set default behavior to hibernate which takes 0 power, but compromises disk space (4gb ram = 4gb disk space). The wake time is longer but still very short (fast since the ssd is quick). It's fairly easy to do it but let me know if you need help.
Definitely suggest you enable hibernation if you are on 128gb, and hibernate over night.

Last edited:
OP
souldier

souldier

I set my surface to go on hibernate when I press the power button. It's true it doesn't take any power at all but instead of waking instantly it will take 2-4 seconds. I was using an Acer W700 in the last few days and I can say that when you put it to sleep, it barely drains any power even over night, and can wake up in a split second. I wonder how they were able to do it. Acer claims the W700 has something like a 2 week standby time.

vook

I set my surface to go on hibernate when I press the power button. It's true it doesn't take any power at all but instead of waking instantly it will take 2-4 seconds. I was using an Acer W700 in the last few days and I can say that when you put it to sleep, it barely drains any power even over night, and can wake up in a split second. I wonder how they were able to do it. Acer claims the W700 has something like a 2 week standby time.
Maybe a higher capacity battery?

OP
souldier

souldier

You could be right, but the Acer only gets 2-3 hours longer battery life. Perhaps they may have programmed it to be power efficient while in sleep mode somehow