What's new

SP3 vs Macbook Air - which should I buy (debate/compare but dont fight)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
If you're just using a device for surfing the web, you should maybe look into a chrome book. They are cheap and will do what you need.

Otherwise, the MacBook Air is far superior. I mean, the pen is a gimmick in a sense. I dunno, seems like Microsoft picked up a pad of paper and pen and wrote down everything they could think of and crammed it into the surface the surface. Why do 20 things poorly when you can do 10 things perfectly like the MacBook Air achieves?

I'd say go with the more superior machine. The Air!
As someone who has used TabletPCs since 2003 (not the "toy" over grown Phone OS Tablets) the pen isn't a gimmick, I have OneNote Notebooks, all filled with digital ink that are filly searchable dating back over 10 years, I've completely given up my dependency on paper notebooks and 99% of printed books.

The SP3 is the best implementation of the TabletPC I've ever used and I could never go back to using a clamshell. The SP3 is the perfect size and weight and in portrait mode has the same dimensions as a legal pad. For a Knowledge Worker, Scientist, IT Professional, or Student who wants a one device solution that is highly mobile, I can't think of a better device. The MBA in all honesty is an Ultrabook with 2012 Specs....

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you're just using a device for surfing the web, you should maybe look into a chrome book. They are cheap and will do what you need.

Otherwise, the MacBook Air is far superior. I mean, the pen is a gimmick in a sense. I dunno, seems like Microsoft picked up a pad of paper and pen and wrote down everything they could think of and crammed it into the surface the surface. Why do 20 things poorly when you can do 10 things perfectly like the MacBook Air achieves?

One thing the MB Air is better at, as someone pointed out, is cutting cake. So if you're planning a birthday party and can't carry your knife thru the airport your MB Air will do nicely. Otherwise the fan noise of the MB Air will drive you deaf.

kundas1

Ya see? Its misguided responses like this that get me like WTF are you talking about? pen is a gimmick? REALLY?!! tell that to all the students, artists, professionals and what have you that use the pen CONSTANTLY. and NO the MBP is not superior to the SP3 not by a long shot! that's just shows how your a mac fanboy...

Matt

The mac book air is a nice little machine. At its time it was revolutionary. Now its just an over priced ultra book with a niche os. I have a mac book air 2013 13" jobbie for work. Needed apple configurator for iOS. Tried it as a daily driver but found it too limiting and he os to frustrating. It's quick enough but no faster than my sp1.

The pen on the sp is brilliant. It just takes a bit of brain training to get into the habit of using it. Once you do one note becomes your new best friend

mrpercyfrazier

One thing the MB Air is better at, as someone pointed out, is cutting cake. So if you're planning a birthday party and can't carry your knife thru the airport your MB Air will do nicely. Otherwise the fan noise of the MB Air will drive you deaf.

That's being a bit extreme. People have reported their SP3 fans are always turning on at the most simple tasks. Mine doesn't kick on 24/7 though so it seems the surface is a bit inconsistent.

I never owned a Mac air so I can't speak to the fan situation.

See I just can't get into one note on my surface. It feels like I have to force myself to like it and use it. I feel more comfortable using a pen and paper. Is the full app vs the metro app any different.

What's fanboy. I bought a surface pro for my birthday a week ago! I just can't get use out of this pen is all. Old habits. That's why it's gimmicky. Maybe another terminology?

Last edited:

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's being a bit extreme. People have reported their SP3 fans are always turning on at the most simple tasks. Mine doesn't kick on 24/7 though so it seems the surface is a bit inconsistent.

See I just can't get into one note on my surface. It feels like I have to force myself to like it and use it. I feel more comfortable using a pen and paper. Is the full app vs the metro app any different.

What's fanboy. I bought a surface pro for my birthday a week ago! I just can't get use out of this pen is all. Old habits. That's why it's gimmicky. Maybe another terminology?
I faintly heard the fan once... I wasn't sure what it was at first then I held the SP3 up to my ear... oh its the fan.

With the MBA its pretty overwhelming you definitely don't want that in a meeting... you get daggers.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

If you've never owned a MBA how can you tell people it is a superior machine?

mrpercyfrazier

If you've never owned a MBA how can you tell people it is a superior machine?

I've used them. I doen't own a Lambo but I know it's faster than a Honda. Know what saying? Plus all my friends and business partners use Macs. I wonder if I should stick out my SP3 and see if things get better with updates or if I should look into something else? What's an Ultra book that you speak of? Just a beefed up laptop? I'm not into screen separation, kickstands being uneven, yellowing of the screen and stuff. So do I risk running into that and keep it or do I get something that's more solid and performs just as good and better?

When I plug my SP3 into my TV it gets hotter than frying pan. I could cook an egg on it. Never had a device do that before. I was told this thing never gets hot. Why?

mrpercyfrazier

I thin other machines are superior because if you take two people. Let's say one owns surface pro 3 because they think a laptop and tablet combo is the best possible option. Then you take the other person owns macbook air and tablet. The macbook air and tablet are far more superior. I think why, if a person has a gun to each of their heads and says we're going to play game. You have to send an e-mail. You're life depends on it. But the person with gun smashes the macbook air with an ax and smashes the surface pro 3 with an ax. The person with surface pro 3 is SOL. but the person with the air has the tablet to default to. I think the saying is, you don't put all your eggs in a basket.

If you're SP3 breaks you're done. If someones air breaks. They have their iPad. From that form factor alone it makes it superior. Iknow protection plans are out there. Is it worth the extra 180? does it give you two years protection? I'm still within my time to buy it if i want it i think.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've used them. I doen't own a Lambo but I know it's faster than a Honda. Know what saying? Plus all my friends and business partners use Macs. I wonder if I should stick out my SP3 and see if things get better with updates or if I should look into something else? What's an Ultra book that you speak of? Just a beefed up laptop? I'm not into screen separation, kickstands being uneven, yellowing of the screen and stuff. So do I risk running into that and keep it or do I get something that's more solid and performs just as good and better?

When I plug my SP3 into my TV it gets hotter than frying pan. I could cook an egg on it. Never had a device do that before. I was told this thing never gets hot. Why?
If your SP3 is heating up like that something is wrong with it, I use Miracast to extend and/or mirror my screen which has much more overhead than using the Mini-DP Port and have never had it heat up....

An Ultrabook is the Intel Marketing Speak for their thin and light laptops based on the MBA design esthetic.

mrpercyfrazier

If your SP3 is heating up like that something is wrong with it, I use Miracast to extend and/or mirror my screen which has much more overhead than using the Mini-DP Port and have never had it heat up....

An Ultrabook is the Intel Marketing Speak for their thin and light laptops based on the MBA design esthetic.

Hmmmm. Is there a way to hard reboot? Like hold down windows touch button and power button? Maybe I just need a full, hard reboot? Sometimes that fixes any glitches