What's new

So... Windows 11!

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Up to now, Windows 11 developers seem to have overlooked the simple "default apps" or "default applications" setting. Instead, a user must deliberately search apps by filetype, such as ".mp3" or ".HTML" rather than a list of default mail, browser, editor, media apps.

Narcoleptic_Rage

Up to now, Windows 11 developers seem to have overlooked the simple "default apps" or "default applications" setting. Instead, a user must deliberately search apps by filetype, such as ".mp3" or ".HTML" rather than a list of default mail, browser, editor, media apps.
Yes, I noticed that too. It is a terrible design choice, but at least you can still choose your defaults the Windows 7 way by going into the properties & changing the file type in there, which is far easier & safer from screwing something up by accidentally changing the wrong file type settings.

Alternatively, you can right click the file, go to 'More Options', go to 'Open With', go to 'Choose another app', tick the box that says 'always use this app to open ____ files' & select the app you desire. However, Windows 11 adds a lot more unnecessary clicks in its UI because of having the old dropdown menu hidden behind a new dropdown menu.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Another oversight is with projecting to a wireless display. After pressing Windows+P , one may choose to duplicate, or extend the display, but the option to then connect to a wireless display is missing. That must be done separately using Settings, Display, Connect to a Wireless Display .

Narcoleptic_Rage

Another oversight is with projecting to a wireless display. After pressing Windows+P , one may choose to duplicate, or extend the display, but the option to then connect to a wireless display is missing. That must be done separately using Settings, Display, Connect to a Wireless Display .

The option is still there, but I haven't tested it yet. I plan to test it out in the coming days though. It just isn't there by default. You may have to add it in by clicking on the Quick Settings (Network/Volume) in the system tray & then clicking on the 'Edit quick settings' & pin the 'Cast' button to the Quick settings tray.

Screenshot 2021-07-28 113000.png
Screenshot 2021-07-28 112858.png

kojack

I'm running Windows 11 on my Pro X with the new Office ARM64 Insider Build. Working well especially for an early build.
Still running good on 11? I sold my ipad and I am getting a surface X for my tablet. I am sick of apple and their antics and I am a fan of windows. Hows the software running 11?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Still running good on 11? I sold my ipad and I am getting a surface X for my tablet. I am sick of apple and their antics and I am a fan of windows. Hows the software running 11?
Yep - It's running mostly fine, some reboots entering S0iX

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It was the Connected Standby Power State introduced in Windows 8 - allows for always on connectivity while maintaining battery life. It's like your smartphone - it can be in a low power state and still receive notification and calls.

kojack

It was the Connected Standby Power State introduced in Windows 8 - allows for always on connectivity while maintaining battery life. It's like your smartphone - it can be in a low power state and still receive notification and calls.
Gotcha. Learn new things every day. Does the android/amazon store work on 11 now? I am thinking about getting my son a go 2.