What's new

Pen grip for SP3 surface pen

Childs Play

Hey all,

I’ve owned my surface pro 3 for a few months now and I love it. I’ve noticed a couple minor bugs here and there but nothing to bat an eye at. I use one note almost daily for my classes. It’s made note taking a breeze. I have one qualm with the surface pen though. It’s a tad too heavy and too sleek. It likes to shift around in my hand while I write. Every time I want to use the buttons on the pen I have to take a moment to reposition it.

Is anyone else having this problem? I’ve created a design for a pen grip exclusively for the surface pen. The 3-d printed prototype should arrive tomorrow. I’m wondering if other surface pro 3 users agree with me and would consider buying such a product. Let me know what you think!

OP
C

Childs Play

Here is the 3-d model I had made. I should have the 3-d print out any day now.
Office Lens_20150129_091740_processed.jpg

zhenya

Send me the 3d file and I'll print one and let you know. :)

I don't really have too much issue with the pen though - I think it's just the right thickness and weight. I do find that the buttons press a bit too easily, but it's rarely an irritation, and I've found every pen I've used with buttons is too easy to hit them accidentally or two hard to locate them without looking.

OP
C

Childs Play

It's great. It helps a lot in writing, and makes it easy to use the buttons without missing a beat. I'd like to eventually produce some in a more rubber like material and sell them. Right now its just a hard polymer that the 3d printers use.

MitigationElf

The thing I hate about the pen is the positioning of the buttons and the fact that the top is no longer used as the eraser. I am so used to my SP pen (as well as previous tablets I have used) using the pen as a traditional pencil with an eraser on top. I have always had a one-button pen and used my index finger to easily push the button when needed. Now, I have to look at the pen and find the button I want to push. How do you hold the pen/use the buttons? It looks from the picture that you are a lefty?

malberttoo

If anyone is eager to get their hands on it now,

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/onegrip

They'll 3-d print it for you and ship it out, if you already have a 3-d printer, let me know and I'll get you a copy of the .STL file

By the way I got mine a couple weeks ago, and it is awesome. I need to figure out how to implement it into my lifestyle a bit more, as I like to keep my Surface in a pen pocket on my jacket, and the gripper prevents that.

That being said though, for its intended purpose, it works great. Very soothing on the fingers.

OP
C

Childs Play

The thing I hate about the pen is the positioning of the buttons and the fact that the top is no longer used as the eraser. I am so used to my SP pen (as well as previous tablets I have used) using the pen as a traditional pencil with an eraser on top. I have always had a one-button pen and used my index finger to easily push the button when needed. Now, I have to look at the pen and find the button I want to push. How do you hold the pen/use the buttons? It looks from the picture that you are a lefty?

I'm actually right handed. I just happened to be holding it in my left so I could take the picture with my right. But when I'm writing with the pen I use my thumb to use the buttons. The grip helps keep my thumb right next to them at all times.