What's new

Not compatible with Windows 10 May 2020 update yet?

Turbo4AWD

I checked Windows update today on my Surface Pro 6 and got the attached message. I wonder why Microsoft's line of devices wouldn't be "first" and then make the update compatible with all of the other, generic, computer devices out there? Regardless, I am pretty sure I will get it soon. If not this weekend, sometime next week during the week it will be available to install.

1590871529777.png

ScottyS

Bummer. Yeah I got this notice too. Don't think it's a compatibility issue, MS say on the web site you get from Learn more "(Note: You may not see Download and install on your device as we are slowly throttling up this availability over the coming weeks, or your device might have a compatibility issue for which a safeguard hold is in place until we are confident that you will have a good update experience.)" So this sounds to me it may be a Microsoft issue.

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Aha!! There's known issues so they halted upgrades for certain devices....I figured SOMETHING was up.

"....Microsoft has a list of 10 issues it’s currently investigating, and 9 of them have resulted in a “compatibility hold” which stops the Windows 10 May 2020 Update from being installed via Windows Update. One issue involving unexpected errors or reboots with always-on, always-connected devices, affects devices like Microsoft’s Surface Pro 7 or Surface Laptop 3....."

Seems like they are working on fixing the issues though. Should be available to update on the Surface Pro 6 soon!

ScottyS

Seems MS is being a bit disingenuous; "but your device isn’t quite ready for it." should read "but it is not quite ready for your device".

For those of us with SP7 or SL3 that's what we get for getting the latest and greatest.

Plantje

I've been at a client where they decided to always use the previous version of software. So, while the whole world was on Windows 7, they were still on Windows Vista. (Never had issues with Vista by the way)

wpcoe

Hmmm. I noticed a different icon on my taskbar for calculator.exe so thought maybe they had silently loaded the May 2020 Update.

That is not the case, although now on the Windows Update window there is different verbiage than the past (as shown above in
Turbo4AWD's opening post.) Now it shows:

windows-update.gif

Progress?

ScottyS

Yeah, it's progress they went from blaming it on us ("your device isn’t quite ready" for my brand new SP7) to admitting the truth ("Once it's ready"). When you click on Lear More you can see all the bugs and issues they've encountered with different hardware and software so they're working on investigating and fixing problems so that's when it's rolled out widely it wont be a catastrophe (like we've seen before).

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Seems MS is being a bit disingenuous; "but your device isn’t quite ready for it." should read "but it is not quite ready for your device".

For those of us with SP7 or SL3 that's what we get for getting the latest and greatest.

Just noticed they changed the verbage to reflect exactly this! lol. They read your comment on this thread...watch out!

1595465771639.png

ScottyS

Just got version 2004.
Upgrade went without a hitch, I guess my computer was "ready for it" (or vice versa).

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Just got version 2004.
Upgrade went without a hitch, I guess my computer was "ready for it" (or vice versa).

Nice. Going to wait until I get home to check and see if the update is ready for my Surface Pro 6. Internet here at work is SSSLLLOOOWWWW compared to my Gigabit internet at home. Should be a much more pleasant experience to download at home.