What's new

My Surface Book i7... Some keys stopped working

Xavyer

I have the exact same problem, no warranty available, what did you do? i'm trying to fix it by my self but I don't know where to begin. So frustrating!!
One thing that I noticed is that when I press some any of the non working keys (in my case D, O, 9,M,;) the keyboard doesn't turn on the light that is behind. I think that this could be an indicator of something going wrong inside the keyboard and not in tablet connector, but i'm not sure, I don't know how the keyboard sends the signal to turn the lights on.

pol128

I have the exact same problem, no warranty available, what did you do? i'm trying to fix it by my self but I don't know where to begin. So frustrating!!

Well, I opened the base up. No obvious signs of water damage, checked all connections. Cleaned with alcohol (though I didn't bother taking the discrete graphics out or trying to get into the keyboard). Not one key came back, so figure it was pretty kaput (I'm thinking I bought a charger from Amazon that surged into the Surface and killed an IC or something...I will never buy or cheap out on the charger again if I paid thousands for a device).

Anyways, I was in the market for a new device, so after much tossing and turning, I got the SB2 15 inch. I really looked at Dell, Asus and Lenovo 2 -in-1's, but it was the GTX 1060 in the 15" in the small factor that did it for me. I hate that the SB 2 doesn't have Thunderbolt (for a proper docking solution), the charger is underpowered, doesn't seem to properly support HDR on external TVs, and there is no way to fix/upgrade things; but such is life.

If I was on a budget, I would have looked at the $600 out of warranty "trade in" (after backing up all my files, twice!...and checking I got them all) and get a swap (driving 3 hours to Charlotte because I don't trust them going into a bin and shipping me whatever). The problem is you only get a 90 day warranty...lots of risk as the reputation of 1st party refirbs hasn't been great lately (i.e. Apple). If my base was in perfect shape, I might have rolled the dice on getting the base from Ebay, but what I saw there wasn't exactly cheap, and mostly looked like junk.

So at the end of the day, sadly, consumer laptops and computers have become commodities. Until MS decides to sell replacements for the base (I have a working SB 1 tablet...no base which is a shame), you're pretty much hosed. Or until Louis Rossman (look him up on YouTube on his Apple repairs and commentary...good insight) decides to fix Surfaces.

Lewis Dorsett

Just joined Forum, looking for help with my recently purchased, just out of warranty! Surface book 2 as all above my problem is with missing keys which for some reason stop working, then suddenly come back fully working, tried all the above and still got the problem 4 keys bottom left hand row Z,X,C,V and the enter key stopped responding. Please help....

Last edited:

Luca

Hi, maybe this can help
I have some keys not working: a p b g y 7 and función key "volume up"
I noticed that apart from a and p all the other keys are in line.
And also other people have keys not working in vertical line.
So I suppose there is something broken in the keyboard circuit.

I tried to press on the hinge (with the computer opened I pressed the top of the hinge against the table) and the key started working again.
It works only sometimes.

I think there is a broken cable

Last edited:

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
This might be a stupid thought and redundant to say the least - But has anyone with the effected missing (not working) keys, attempted to put the Surface Book into clipboard mode? Ejecting the screen and putting it on backwards to see if this by some SLIM chance causes the keys and the connector to perhaps work - thus narrowing it down to the connection between base and upper CPU module.

Additionally - to narrow it down to hardware and not software - has anyone plugged in perhaps a USB keyboard or used a Bluetooth keyboard? I gather that it's obviously a hardware issue, but through years and years of trial and error, sometimes its the smallest of fixes that will work things out. I also realize that Surface Book 2 bases are not roaming around, easily accessible - but perhaps taking your machine into a Best Buy, or any other store that sells Microsoft products, and testing out the stores floor model base with your machine would definitely establish that it's a hardware (Keyboard Base) issue. My apologies in advance if I am way off base here - just spit-balling ideas.

Luca

If you turn it in tablet mode the keyboard doesn't work.
Anyway I don't think it is a connection problem. I'm almost sure that the keyboard is broken. There must be some connection not working in the keyboard circuit.
I opened it but it is impossible to get the those circuits because there is a metal frame soldered to the case.
But if I try to press the non working buttons at the same time, after some attempts they work again. But not for long

Luca

Hello, I bought a new keyboard (only the keyboard part) for 19 dollars.

It will arrive in one month. And i'll tell you if it works...

It will not be easy to change it because the old keyboard can only be removed with a dremel....
And than I'll have to figure it out how to fix the new one to the frame.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hello, I bought a new keyboard (only the keyboard part) for 19 dollars.

It will arrive in one month. And i'll tell you if it works...

It will not be easy to change it because the old keyboard can only be removed with a dremel....
And than I'll have to figure it out how to fix the new one to the frame.

Thanks for the replies - I have been following this thread for awhile now and my curiosity is peaked - If you have time, could you possibly take a few pictures of your keyboard repair? I more than understand if time does not permit, or it is too much of a hassle. More than anything I wonder what is the culprit.... I have seen the smallest of things - a couple of drops of condensation on from glass of iced tea, to accidental dog drool reek havoc on both a PC and the keyboard. Please let us know what, if anything - you happen to find.

Mike H

Luca

pmnU3lM7j
poUYxcAIj
pnZpYorOj
pmfh94mKj
pnzLy9hIj
pnFEvQp5j

Luca

I found out the there is no need to drill the keyboard.
There are small pins, but they are difficult to remove. And there are many.
I removed all of them and take out the keyboard. It is glued to the metal frame.
Once you take it off the metal frame you can see the circuits.

They are small and you need a Magnifying glass to follow them.
All my not working keys are on the same line. But on the same line there are also other keys. I'm almost sure some welding is broken. But I need more time.