What's new

My Surface Book i7... Some keys stopped working

kaspforeva

I have just struck success with this particular problem. I read another person's answer where she said that holding the TAB key down enabled the functioning of the problem-keys. I tried the same and was surprised to find the result was the same for me - the keys worked while pressing the TAB key down. I released the TAB key and the problem keys were back to working properly.

This morning I woke up to find the problem keys not working again. I clicked the TAB key on - the function where the TAB key stays permanently on after you’ve lifted your finger. I tried the keys and they weren't working. But then I pressed the TAB key down, keeping it on with my finger, and the keys worked. And after lifting my finger the keys remained working.

A strange wrinkle. Clicking the TAB key on didn't correct the problem, but pressing the TAB key down worked.

It's hard to believe this simple action has corrected the problem. I was in the process of buying a new Surface Book 2 or looking to get the keyboard replaced. I hope this helps some of you.

Last edited:

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
This is a strange phenomenon. Hopefully, somebody can figure out the bug now that a hint is that the TAB key can be used to remedy. Good news is that software is indicated, not hardware.

kaspforeva

This is a strange phenomenon. Hopefully, somebody can figure out the bug now that a hint is that the TAB key can be used to remedy. Good news is that software is indicated, not hardware.
I'm sorry to say, the problem has returned. I was so tickled pink about this little remedy. I guess I should have waited a week before posting. Arrgh! I'm back to looking for a new laptop, or looking into replacing the keyboard.

Last edited:

Members online