What's new

again "SYSTEM" process high cpu usage issue

here again, this morning start again the issue.

How can be normal this? I should allow this pc to do this 35/40% cpu usage as I leave it alone 3 minutes? it's not normal, why so Microsoft would use 40% cpu usage each time I leave my pc for 3 minutes. It's annoying, I can't leave the pc and wait who knows how much it finish to use my cpu at 35/40%. I need to work with pc, so I will touch it and cpu will go down. But to know that as I leave it the cpu go up give not peace to me.
It's like you leave your car with engine on, and you just go 10 meters away from it and the car give big power to engine scaring you.......it's insane! :( View attachment 3715
Welcome to Windows!

Note I'm talking about mrt.exe, ngen, etch. They explicitly go away when you move the mouse. They should not be started while you're on battery by the way.

I don't know about SYSTEM, it may be a different problem as in the SP2.

OP
Enrico D.

Enrico D.

12 minutes, than I stopped it moving the mouse.

So each of you have the same problem? So if you leave your Surface Pro 3 alone, it after 3 minutes go to 80/85 temperature, cpu usage 40%, and if come some apple user and will listen the fan loud what will say? what a nice pc replacement you have?? no way. I have my Surface Pro 3 silent at 0% if I'm here on my desk, if I leave it suicide. I need to stop this. It's not possible that we are at ONE STEP from the paradise and Microsoft for such stupid issue waste all my dream. I can't work like this, I should shut down my pc and my softwares if I want to make a break of 5 minutes or 30 minutes etc. No way, I can't go in bathroom and kitchen that when I'm back I feel rumors in my desk.
Please help, I cannot believe that every users of surface pro has this issue.

12 minutes.jpg

12 minutes, than I stopped it moving the mouse.

So each of you have the same problem? So if you leave your Surface Pro 3 alone, it after 3 minutes go to 80/85 temperature, cpu usage 40%, and if come some apple user and will listen the fan loud what will say? what a nice pc replacement you have?? no way.
EVERY windows user has this problem. But, have you tried to just let it finish whatever it is it's doing?

Disclaimer: again, if it happens while you're on battery or actively using it or moving the mouse, then it is a different problem.

gdir

I have no problems with my SP3. It stays idle if it's not in use. MRT runs once in a month after the usual patch day. Ngen is only active when NET updates have been installed. The search indexer is also no problem here.

OP
Enrico D.

Enrico D.

So how much should I wait? 15 minutes? 30 minutes? 3 hourse?
so EVERY SP3 users have left is machine with 40% cpu usage for 1 time, and then became the paradise like in the case of user "gdir" and in my case just 3 minutes paradise then the mess?

Let me know how much to leave the pc alone to 40% usage and I will do! but to me sound this crazy, but if it is 1 time per month and then paradise, I will try to do it!

so EVERY SP3 users have left is machine with 40% cpu usage for 1 time, and then became the paradise like in the case of user "gdir" and in my case just 3 minutes paradise then the mess?

Let me know how much to leave the pc alone to 40% usage and I will do! but to me sound this crazy, but if it is 1 time per month and then paradise, I will try to do it!
In my SP2 une hour is more than enough at least.

OP
Enrico D.

Enrico D.

ok I will leave 1 hour and more... we will see what happen.

QT3 is a my software for finance, in java, it's not causing any issue, I tested this issue even with nothing on like Skype, softwares nothing... all updated are disabled like adobe, java, etc etc.

I will leave the pc 1 hour idle then we will see if it stop, however on my wife sp3 i5 dont happen this (we made a reset before use it)

Last edited:

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
This is part of the Windows Maintenance Tasks, it will run in the background and typically suspends when there is other activity, but like all processes it can sometimes get hung...

ctitanic

This is part of the Windows Maintenance Tasks, it will run in the background and typically suspends when there is other activity, but like all processes it can sometimes get hung...
You learn something new everyday. Never have seen it running.

joga

After the initial setup my SP3 went into high cpu usage too. I left it running and when i was back after some time my SP3 was quiet and cold. Waiting for me to start working. It never came back.

Be patient and let Windows finish the job.