What's new

SP3 problems CPU high load issue at idle Wifi limited / not connected

Hendrickson

I have two rather major issues with my Surface Pro 3. At idle, system and system interrupt is taking up a good amount CPU power for no reason looking in task manager. My system is idle yet the fans are screaming and the back is hot. I see the Surface Pro 2 had this problem (threads on this forum) and now it seems its back again?

I googled too Surface Pro 3 issues and found this http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/...igh-cpu-load-from-sleep-resume-still-present/ We are not alone it seems with the issue.

I think its related to the Real Tech audio drivers. If I play an MP3 the CPU starts acting normal ? And the system load drops. But as soon as stop the mp3 it loads up again.

Also coming out of sleep I get a warning asterisk and no internet connection. Limited connection it says and I have to turn Wifi on and Off to connect. Its very annoying. This keeps up, I'm going to return it and get a Yogo 2.

Does any one else have this issue or I have a dud? Its i5 256GB model.

ctitanic

I can't replicate their issue. Now, in their screenshot they have a lot of Chrome tasks consuming memory.

Capture.JPG

Seneleron

In all fairness, the SP2 issue specifically related to micro SD + realtek audio drivers. Removing the SD card would resolve the issue.

This has also been happening to me on my SP3. Removing the SD card hasn't fixed it, removing the type cover and restarting kinda has.

I've been having a lot of other little nitpicks [screen off but not sleeping while closed, touch screen occasionally flakes out, etc] so I did a full restore. SO FAR none of these issues have (if you'll forgive the pun here) re-surfaced.

ctitanic

Here is the point. All the drivers are ok but at one point Windows update screws the whole thing. And that's a constant in MS since long time ago. Nothing new here. Very disappointing.

OP
H

Hendrickson

I too thought it was the MicroSd card, but removing it doesn't fix anything. MS must have know of this issues. ctitanic if you want to replicate the issue, try power button action as hibernate. That seems to make it do this 99% of the time. I'm running Hyper V so I don't use sleep (Or have it?)

I'm calling MS again, if there is nop fix soon it doing to go back as its effecting my battery life big time. Effectively halving it.

be77solo

I have both of these issues on my SP3.

Oddly, as long as I don't have a mSD card inserted when I boot, I don't have the System/System Interrupts bug (~20% CPU usage), but do if I insert one, and it stays active even if I eject until I shut down.

WiFi is driving me nuts as well, hoping the promised update this week finally solves it.

atoms83

I am having these very same issues. Last night before I went to bed, I unplugged my sp3 and put it to sleep with 100% battery right before I passed out for 6 hours. I woke up, opened the sp3, and it was off.. not asleep. Also the battery was at 81%.. how does that happen? Also a much larger issue for me is that every fricking day there is the same update to the English input personalization dictionary. No matter how many times I install it, it asks to install again the next day. Incredibly annoying. I have a week before I can no longer return this unit to best buy so hopefully they fix that update issue.

be77solo

Don't expect a fix for the English input update by next if ever ha, I've had the same update almost daily for a year now on SP1,SP2, and now SP3. They are almost as frequent as the definition updates for Windows Defender; you learn to just let them install as second nature.

ctitanic

I am having these very same issues. Last night before I went to bed, I unplugged my sp3 and put it to sleep with 100% battery right before I passed out for 6 hours. I woke up, opened the sp3, and it was off.. not asleep. Also the battery was at 81%.. how does that happen? Also a much larger issue for me is that every fricking day there is the same update to the English input personalization dictionary. No matter how many times I install it, it asks to install again the next day. Incredibly annoying. I have a week before I can no longer return this unit to best buy so hopefully they fix that update issue.
After hibernation the system goes, checks emails, news, etc. So it's normal to see some CPU activate but other than that mine when to normal in few seconds.
Capture.JPG

be77solo

Here's a snapshot of mine when it's doing it, totally idle, system should be sitting quiet and cool, yet it is burning up, fans blasting, wasting battery... this is with a mSD card inserted, I've yet to see this happen when I've booted up and kept the mSD card out of the device:

SP3_SysInterupts.PNG

Same problems we had with the SP2 until they finally fixed it in June.... so dang annoying it's back on the SP3.