What's new

Wireless screen sharing between PCs

fl1ntst0n3

I am in a situation where I would appreciate the flexibility of walking into a room, connecting my sp3 to a projector-synced desktop and screen share a presentation/onenote "whiteboard" presentation. I have seen third party apps, but they require installation on both ends. Is there anything available using Bluetooth and usb that would make this simpler? Ideally I would hook my sp3 up to the projector, but I do not have that luxury. What are my options here?

daniielrp

Bluetooth would never be able to power a display, it just can't push data fast enough.

If it's a PowerPoint you could use the Broadcast feature within PowerPoint to project it to any internet connected PC.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Miracast/Widi forget the other PC, just connect a Miracast adapter to your TV.

I use the Netgear Push2TV PTV3000.

wditters

But could that work for a projector?

Miracast = wireless HDMI ... So any projector or display that uses HDMI will per design be able to work with this. If you need old fashioned VGA (or worse, SVHS) then you need a cable ...

This

Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter

en-INTL-L-Microsoft-Wireless-Display-Adapter-CG4-00001-mnco.jpg

and a nice quick video review, make sure to watch closely at the
24 second mark :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
In January, Airtame is releasing a product to do this, but it will require endpoints on all participating devices...

I use Miracast for projectors all the time, they just need to support HDMI or your Miracast Adapter needs to support Active HDMI to VGA, Actiontec's ScreenBeam Pro line has a model that does this....

mlknez

As of the last update, the surface pro 3 has a built-in API to act as a miracast receiver though I know of no programs that have been created to date to take advantage of it.

wditters

In January, Airtame is releasing a product to do this, but it will require endpoints on all participating devices...

I use Miracast for projectors all the time, they just need to support HDMI or your Miracast Adapter needs to support Active HDMI to VGA, Actiontec's ScreenBeam Pro line has a model that does this....

In fact I noticed a number of auctions on eBay of the ScreenBeam Pro + VGA (SBWD100VGA02) Wireless Display Receiver + VGA Adapter
that roughly do the same as the Screenbeam Pro Business edition. Not sure about the quality though :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
How robust is your Netgear Push2TV? Does it stutter?
How is the sound?
With the latest Firmware it works quite well, it is nearly on Par with the ScreenBeam Pro, just a tad bit more lag. It is fine for media, but not quite up to using as a wireless docking solution.