What's new

Windows Hello Face Recognition Not Working

netuser

All the latest updates and firmware are installed and trying to set up Windows Hello for the first time on one of our Surface Books.
The camera turns on and the user's face shows up on the setup screen, but the it just sits there and never completes whatever it is supposed to do to capture the image used for facial recognition.
No errors are displayed. It just doesn't work.

What are solutions for this issue?

bobcpa

All the latest updates and firmware are installed and trying to set up Windows Hello for the first time on one of our Surface Books.
The camera turns on and the user's face shows up on the setup screen, but the it just sits there and never completes whatever it is supposed to do to capture the image used for facial recognition.
No errors are displayed. It just doesn't work.

What are solutions for this issue?
Last night, I updated Windows 10 with the anniversary update. This morning, I tried to use my Surface and, I must say, the anniversary update is a complete fail. I ended up reverting back to the previous Windows 10 operating system and all is working fine. Except, Windows Hello is not working and I am experiencing the same issues that netuser is experiencing. Damn you Microsoft!

OP
N

netuser

We have all the latest updates for 1511. We haven't updated to Anniversary Update yet.
There is something else wrong in our case.

bobcpa

We have all the latest updates for 1511. We haven't updated to Anniversary Update yet.
There is something else wrong in our case.
Netuser, I have a solution for you because it worked for me. Go into Settings>Accounts>Sign-in Options>Windows Hello. Remove your scan and go through the facial recognition process again. As I said, it worked for me. Good luck and report back what happens

OP
N

netuser

Netuser, I have a solution for you because it worked for me. Go into Settings>Accounts>Sign-in Options>Windows Hello. Remove your scan and go through the facial recognition process again. As I said, it worked for me. Good luck and report back what happens

The user never got the first scan completed, so there should be no existing scan to remove.

Ron

Hi. I am having a similar issue with my SP4. One thing I have noticed is the camera will take rear facing pictures but when you turn it around I get an error code and Camera Won't Start. Still trying to get mine fixed as well.

Posting the orphan thread (Mod)
Hi,
I have a 'vanilla' Surface Pro 4 where Hello used to work. I contacted support they had me restore the surface back to factory. Tested the camera and it worked. The minute the Surface turns off, I have noticed that the rear facing camera works but the front facing one will throw an error "Camera won't start" Check to be sure it is connected and installed properly. Error code 0xA00F424A(0x80070032).

I have tried reverting back to a previous driver
Tried removing the device and driver and have it reinstall
Made sure all windows updates are applied.
Shut off and restarted it numerous times

Knowing the camera is not working makes sense in Windows Hello except when you ask it to scan you face, the camera turns on, the light comes on, you can see yourself but the status bar that you would normally see when scanning does nothing. So the front facing camera does at least turn on to attempt a scan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Niterider4

I would try turning off Windows Hello, rebooting without it on, and then turning it on again and trying to go through the set up.

If that doesn't work, I would consider removing the camera driver and reinstalling it.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hi. I am having a similar issue with my SP4. One thing I have noticed is the camera will take rear facing pictures but when you turn it around I get an error code and Camera Won't Start. Still trying to get mine fixed as well.
Please don't post multiple threads....merging the two....

xaanda

My 2 cents worth... had/have the same problem; my SB is part of a domain but the necessary Windows 10 group policies to allow use of Windows Hello haven't been loaded on to the server. I checked this by resetting the OS & checking that I could set up Windows Hello for a local account before the SB was added to the domain - all worked fine. Once I connected to the domain again I was unable to set up Hello for the domain account. I did raise an item on one of the forums but I'm not sure how to reference it...