What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though I like bells and whistles, I prefer stability and whatever features there are they should work as they are supposed to work.
I've had most of the bugs the others have been describing in the above posts, but not all in this build. Some in prior builds. (Haven't had the fan running like a leaf blower since the second or third build, sorry @mitchellvii )......at least my fan is quiet.
Oh, and I have installed firmware update 5/14/2015 every day.

Do tell. the fan for me is a constant problem

I discovered that the Notification Center Bug is caused by DPI Scaling, I switched the SP3 to 100% DPI (rather than 150%) and now it works consistently....

I thought this might've been the case. Didn't bother messing with it because fonts are too small at 100.

I'm curious if it also fixes the auto hide taskbar too. Going to try it...

I installed/rebooted the new June update they posted today and my SP3 wouldn't wake up. I could feel the home button vibrate. Then it rebooted and was at the Surface logo. Uninstalled and reported with the feedback app.

10135 Impressions:

1) First W10 build for me yet where the fan has been silent except when it is supposed to be noisy (running video or syncing Dropbox). This is great news although not completely unexpected.
2) Tried installing from ISO over 8.1 without a full wipe. Got stuck 90% of the way through. Once I went back and full wiped, it went fine. Installs are getting faster and faster.
3) This is the quickest build yet IMHO. The latest Chrome Beta is exceptionally quick with near instantaneous page loads. Edge now has bookmark import (nice) but still lags Chrome badly speed wise and seems buggy in general although inking is improved.
4) Colors look really sharp once I crank down the gamma, YMMV.
5) Liking the icon designs if this is the final look.
6) Start Button smoother but still a HUGE disappointment design-wise for me. Animation on live tiles is exceptionally annoying with the "dripping molasses" effect rather than the more pleasing rollover effect. Also, on wide "news" type tiles, half the tile is covered by a solid block of color with only half of that covered by text. Why MS has chosen to cover at least 1/4 of the animated tiles with basically unused space is a mystery. Hopefully this will change.

So far I really like W10 in general and is turning into the W7 2015 I had hoped for all along. UX wise I have no issue other than their decision to go ultra-minimalism on the Start Button design. My guess on that is TPTB at MS are basically pissed they have to add the Start Button back at all and are damned if they are going to make it really fantastic (which would make their original decision to kill it in W8 seem all the more boneheaded.) Just think - if they made the Start Button really amazing, the critics could all say, "Wow, if they could have done THIS with the Start Button all along, why didn't they?" I see egos at work here.

My verdict. Windows 10 - gonna be great, coulda been better. :)

Last edited:
Didn't fix the recurring firmware update for me

No, it's intended to fix the issue where the Notification flyout and system tray icons don't work. And it indeed those things are fixed on mine (and my desktop and Dell Venue 8 Pro, which also suffered from this issue).

My verdict. Windows 10 - gonna be great, coulda been better. :)

My verdict: Windows 10 - pretty darn good, gonna continue to greater (because it's not going to stop improving on July 29). :)

After watching Apple trip all over themselves today to catch up to Microsoft in multitasking and machine intelligence (and in other areas, and to Android, and to the industry in general), I'm even more convinced that Microsoft is headed in the right direction.

My verdict: Windows 10 - pretty darn good, gonna continue to greater (because it's not going to stop improving on July 29). :)

After watching Apple trip all over themselves today to catch up to Microsoft in multitasking and machine intelligence (and in other areas, and to Android, and to the industry in general), I'm even more convinced that Microsoft is headed in the right direction.

I agree that W10 will get better. Their engineers have to do something all day. :) But I think the main issue here is that the basic design vision of W10 is what it is going to be unless the pubic raises a HUGE fuss. Even with the negative reaction to W8, MS was glacially slow improving things and even slower at bringing back the Start Button. Somebody in power at MS feels about the Start Button like Steve Jobs felt about the active stylus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back