What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchellvii

It's been feature complete for weeks, yet the numerous changes we've seen to the Start Screen have still occurred. This is part of polishing and optimizing. Jesus Christ. You've almost made me want to unsubscribe to this thread.

Really? You might unsubscribe? How could we possibly carry on? :rolleyes:

Hey, if flat, dull and almost featureless is your bag, I'm sure the new Start Menu is your dream interface. I like eye candy and choices, sue me.

** Here's a few ideas that would have been cool:

Create Tile Templates. This is where Windows looks at all your apps and suggests various tile layouts depending up what your usage style is. They could have a Gamer template or an Artist template. How about a Developer template or Business template? You just choose a template and Windows arranges the tiles for you in attractive useful layouts which you can then tweak as you see fit. Not only could it arrange your tiles, it could make suggestion for apps that would fit your taste. For instance, if you chose a Gourmet template because you like to cook, it could place cooking app tiles in your Start Menu layout with an option to download them.

And how about Tile Packs like in Android where I can make my non-Metro app tiles look awesome?

One more: jump-lists right on the tiles? I'd clear out 3/4 of the icons from my Taskbar if Start Menu tiles had jump-lists.

MS has done NONE of this. Other than being able to move, size and animate tiles, MS has added basically zero features to their most consumer facing design element. Like I said, missed opportunity.

Last edited:

wynand32

I'll take stability and performance by far and away first over bells and whistles, I'll take usability second.

A tl;dr version of my earlier post: agreed, stability and performance are key now, and Microsoft has said that Windows 10 will continue to evolve, forever. This won't be a static OS. In fact, I'd say that July 29 will simply mark a build that's stable enough to widely release, and we'll continue to get Fast Ring updates hot and heavy for months.

As far as anything really flashy, I'm not sure I'm expecting it from Microsoft themselves. They tried that with the Windows (XP?) (Vista?) (7?) add-ons (can't remember at the moment what they were called). Flopped horribly. I think companies like Stardock will add in the flashy bits, and looking at this Lenovo customized version of Window 10 they've been touting, there seems to be APIs for really changing the look and feel (and function). So I think there will be options.

Haldi

Question: Any utilities out there that actually display the SP3 fan speed? My version of "fans on" may translate different than someone elses. Might be a good test to see if someone's is running HOTTER than someone elses if we could compare fan speeds.

That's what I've been using all along from 8.1 to all the Win10 builds. No fan problems.
i tought Fanspeed does not show RPM for Surface 3?
AFAIK no program reports RPM for the surface 3.

btw Fanspeed... browsing the web with Firefox, Charging, 24°C Room temperature, fan is very silent, but you can hear it spinning. Roughly 50-60°C CPU temp.

Performance.png

For those who don't know, if you ever lose your Function Keys under this build, hold down the "Fn" key and hit "Caps" to get them back.
You do not lose functions key, that's an awesome Feature to activate F1-F12 Keys back to standard. i Love it.

I turned off CS completely. For that reason, and for the extended power configuration profiles. :)

In case folks don't know, it's a reg change and reboot.

manually
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled (1->0)

Powershell admin:

Display:
Get-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power -Name CsEnabled

Change:
Set-ItemProperty -Path HKLM:\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power -Name CsEnabled -Value 0

Thanks a lot!
Seems like my Connected Standby is somewhat broken on W10... often has problems with Network adapter :(
Sleep Study w10.PNG

Full Report here

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I discovered that the Notification Center Bug is caused by DPI Scaling, I switched the SP3 to 100% DPI (rather than 150%) and now it works consistently....

GTiceman

Anyone have an issue with the start menu when the selection of the icons is not actually on the icon but somewhere below it? This is on my HTPC so I know somewhat off topic.

Compusmurf

Folks, make sure you all are posting suggestions, bugs, new features, thoughts etc on the feedback app. Microsoft doesn't read this forum. You don't tell them they might never know. Some great feedback from folks, shame to see it go to waste.

lhauser

Scrivener, the writing software I use, crashes when I try to change folders when exporting files. As I write, it occurs to me this may be related to the Explorer crash bug, so I'll have to test that.

The Explorer crash and my inability to change folders in Scrivener don't appear to be related. I restarted Explorer (which had indeed crashed again), tried to bring up a browse session in Scrivener, and it closed immediately. Explorer was still running. I'll report this.

ScottyS

Though I like bells and whistles, I prefer stability and whatever features there are they should work as they are supposed to work.
I've had most of the bugs the others have been describing in the above posts, but not all in this build. Some in prior builds. (Haven't had the fan running like a leaf blower since the second or third build, sorry @mitchellvii ).
What I find odd is that there are so many different bugs in a group all using essentially the same hardware, the SP3. I know some have clean installs, some upgrades but still... my Notification Center doesn't work and my DPI is 100%. Spartan crashes ever time after a few minutes. I've had the " issue with the start menu when the selection of the icons is not actually on the icon but somewhere below it" but in a previous build. I have the Explorer crash when I shut down. I can go on, but at least my fan is quiet.
Oh, and I have installed firmware update 5/14/2015 every day.

cliffr39

Yeah I've had that System update daily too.
I haven't had the Explorer crash during reboot in a few days now. Not sure why, but it resolved.
I do have an issue with the Start Button (and other things on the task bar) when I have the type cover attached and folded up to the angled position. When I lay the keyboard flat it works fine.

ScottyS

. . .
I do have an issue with the Start Button (and other things on the task bar) when I have the type cover attached and folded up to the angled position. When I lay the keyboard flat it works fine.

Yeah. See, that's what I means. So many different types of bug with the same hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.