What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woah....congrats...haha...you may actually have something not common to report to MS! I figure all the other bugs we find have probably already been reported a million times.

I haven't seen that one before.

Haha, yup. I'd never heard a whisper of that bug, so diligently reported it to MS.

I thought it was very easy. I just went to the Insider site (https://insider.windows.com/) and signed up, downloaded and installed it. I lost the ability to go back to 8.1 but it kept all my programs and data without a hitch.

well i followed the instructions. Ran the .exe and restarted and this updater popped up but just a bunch of system updates. Installed everything. lol wut is dis?

EDIT: Well I just mounted the ISO and ran the setup from there. Im now in w10. most of my vital files are backedup on a different disk so this is just as neat as I wanted it.

I just hope the transistion to the full version will be painfree.

Last edited:
If you choose to install using Hyper-V, this how to is very thorough, albeit low volumed (i would recommend using headphones to listen):

There are proponents and opponents to partitioning an SSD drive. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. All are Surface SSD drives come partitioned. A drive has to be partitioned. It's done at the factory. Our SP3's come with one partition. Maybe more. I'm not sure if there are other hidden partitions that hold the recovery OS or not.

There are proponents and opponents to partitioning an SSD drive. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. All are Surface SSD drives come partitioned. A drive has to be partitioned. It's done at the factory. Our SP3's come with one partition. Maybe more. I'm not sure if there are other hidden partitions that hold the recovery OS or not.
That is true.

My SP3's SSD had several partitions, I used EaseUS Partition Master to create a 50GB partition for Win10 and now I got 7 partitions.
upload_2015-2-12_18-20-13.png

Okay, so, I don't know if anyone else is experiencing this, but as time goes on my 9926 install is getting crashier and crashier. Apps won't start and/or crash immediately and need restarting. Apps running for awhile won't respond and need restarting. Windows button stops working periodically. Office 2013 apps (particularly Excel) freeze for minutes at a time.

I'm really looking forward to the next build so I can redo this puppy. It's not nearly as usable day-to-day as I'd like it to be. Now, note, I understand and expect that from a beta like this, so I'm just grumbling.

I can't seem to recall where in this thread and with Build 9926, but is there a way to fix this sleep issue? Sometimes when I disconnect the power and press the power button to sleep (as I'm taking it to work or back home), I find I can't get my SP3 to resume. Seems I have to press and hold the power button for more than 15+ seconds which now restarts the OS.

Are people experiencing this? And if not, how are you able to get the device to resume?

If I shut my SP3 down, then when I arrive at work or back at home, it starts up fine. I just think this build is not behaving properly after putting it to sleep then trying to resume.

I can't seem to recall where in this thread and with Build 9926, but is there a way to fix this sleep issue? Sometimes when I disconnect the power and press the power button to sleep (as I'm taking it to work or back home), I find I can't get my SP3 to resume. Seems I have to press and hold the power button for more than 15+ seconds which now restarts the OS.

Are people experiencing this? And if not, how are you able to get the device to resume?

If I shut my SP3 down, then when I arrive at work or back at home, it starts up fine. I just think this build is not behaving properly after putting it to sleep then trying to resume.

I've found that in these situations I just need to unplug/plug the power connector and mine wakes up (or the screen comes on, because it's really already awake). If power is not connected, connecting also turns on the screen. So, it seems like it's waking up fine, just the screen isn't responding as it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back