What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
@sharpcolorado how can you do to make the Outlook tile big ? Here it's only small or medium.

All apps have tile size options small or medium. Additional options of wide or large are only available to MUI (Metro or Modern User Interface) apps, not programs. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Internet Explorer programs only allow small or medium.

Expectations are that all programs and apps will allow all sizes in Windows 10, with sizes wide and large allowing authors (programmers) to allow "live tile" functionality. Curiously, the new Word Preview, PowerPoint Preview, and Excel Preview allow small, medium, and wide sizes, but not large.

Screenshot (141).png

Hulu (MUI) allows options Small, Medium, Wide, and Large
Screenshot (142).png

VLC (MUI) allows options Small, Medium, Wide
Screenshot (143).png

Internet Explorer (desktop program) allows options Small, Medium
The additional options such as "Run as Administrator" and "Open file location" (handy) reveal this tile to represent a desktop program.
Screenshot (144).png

Excel Preview (MUI) allows options Small, Medium, Wide
Screenshot (145).png

This stupid colored crash screen leading to a blue screen is driving me nuts. No idea why this worked fine for a week and now this.

This stupid colored crash screen leading to a blue screen is driving me nuts. No idea why this worked fine for a week and now this.

I don't know that it's the reason in your case, but when a problem seems to all of the sudden surface's (no pun intended), try and remember if you made any changes to the Surface since it was working well. Even the slightest reconfiguration to an app or installing an app. If you remember something, try and undo the change you made and see if it helps.

I don't know that it's the reason in your case, but when a problem seems to all of the sudden surface's (no pun intended), try and remember if you made any changes to the Surface since it was working well. Even the slightest reconfiguration to an app or installing an app. If you remember something, try and undo the change you made and see if it helps.

Yea, that is why I have been very limited in what I do with the device in terms of installing items. I have 3 programs installed, FastStone, AeroFS, and Office ha. In addition I have store apps.

I was using Remote Desktop Metro when I got my first crash last night, these Store apps were all installed and nothing new has been installed. That is what is driving me crazy. Typically the crash happens after running for about 45 or so minutes, regardless of the use or actions. That is why it is so puzzling. Only updates have been the automatic ones.

Also, the system will crash on login if I leave it sit for long enough.

Last edited:
Going back in, but this time with a clean install via Rufus and the 9926 .ISO on a stick, appropriate, full Macrium Reflect backup in advance as well.

Will hate having to uninstall/re-install all my apps, but I'm really after a clean, solid, stable build this go 'round as I don't plan on going back unless it completely goes arse over teacups.

So I installed Windows 10 a couple days ago from flash drive on fat 32. Did reformatting of hard drive into one partition and let windows do the rest. I then installed the January driver pack from Microsoft for the Surface Pro 3.

Then last night I put my surface into my bag and went home. A few hours later I went to get something out of my bag and my surface was HOT. I forced shut it down and let it off.
Today (just now) my surface went to sleep and was asleep for about 30 minutes. I went to touch it and it was hot again and unresponsive.

I have installed Windows 10 before but went back and forth. I did not have this issue last time. Should I re-install again? (which would be really annoying but if i cant fix this issue...)

On top of this I am having more issues of it not waking up period than before.

Thanks for your help guys!!!!!

Hope this helps:

When installing Windows 10, you must give the OS enough time to sync up OneDrive. Consider it part of the install. OneDrive architecture is being adjusted a bit, so there are some complicated processes to do. Some system updates are not even flagged as candidates until this process is complete.

@Arktik , I would go for it again. This time, give Windows 10 hours of time online to sync up. Then a few time, shut it down for a few minutes, and restart. Then give it more time. This is the cost of being on the bleeding edge.

Hope this helps:

When installing Windows 10, you must give the OS enough time to sync up OneDrive. Consider it part of the install. OneDrive architecture is being adjusted a bit, so there are some complicated processes to do. Some system updates are not even flagged as candidates until this process is complete.

@Arktik , I would go for it again. This time, give Windows 10 hours of time online to sync up. Then a few time, shut it down for a few minutes, and restart. Then give it more time. This is the cost of being on the bleeding edge.
Should i skip on the driver install as well then until it finishes syncing up onedrive? just when it boots up the first time just leave it alone entirely? Thanks for your response

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back