What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because i can dial down the gamma to get OLED like inky blacks. Makes all the difference.

I seem to have much better blacks in the new drivers than the older ones, including on Win8.1. Maybe it could be better, but it's definitely good enough for me at this point.

I seem to have much better blacks in the new drivers than the older ones, including on Win8.1. Maybe it could be better, but it's definitely good enough for me at this point.
Well what I've noticed is if you load the Intel Drivers, dial down the gamma, then load the stock drivers the gamma sticks. Still a hassle but doable if the new drivers work well in other areas.

In 8.1 you are given some control over Gamma settings using the "Calibrate Color" in "Display" settings but it just isn't as good at getting the white whites and inky blacks as the HD Control Center is. In a pinch I suppose it will do. Assume this is available in W10, just haven't tried it.

Last edited:
If you download process monitor, you should be able to determine the entries it's writing into the registry when you're making an adjustment. From there, you can export them and re-import them after going with an MS 'approved' driver.

We're doing practically the same thing regarding setting custom resolutions to avoid the terribad resolution scaling.

PM me if you want help.
Could you walk us through that? I think the community in general would benefit. Thanks. :)

Anyone else unable to open calculator? I get the STOP DOING THAT chime and a popup within the start menu saying invalid value for registry (explorer.exe)

I downgraded back to Windows 8.1 and now have an issue getting my old MUI OneNote back. I had to uninstall the preview build and when I try to install OneNote, I get a purchase error. Anyone have any ideas how I can get MUI OneNote? Thanks
I had the same and tried all I could think of. Nothing solved it and I'm now back at the W10 preview... :(

Hi Guy,

what you using to view PDF magazines, in windows 8.1 I just double clicked and the mags would load, this don't seem to be the case in windows 10, its saying not supported.

Hi Guy,

what you using to view PDF magazines, in windows 8.1 I just double clicked and the mags would load, this don't seem to be the case in windows 10, its saying not supported.

I dont read magazines, but used drawboard for all my pdf stuff. What application are you currently having trouble with? Got a link to this magazine for us to test, or is it a paid subscription?

I dont read magazines, but used drawboard for all my pdf stuff. What application are you currently having trouble with? Got a link to this magazine for us to test, or is it a paid subscription?

Hi,
its a downloaded magazine in PDF format, on windows 8.1 I could view them at I thought how nice they looked compared to my other tablet, think some of this is due to the screen size, but to my surprize the same mags don't seem to work in Windows 10.
not sure what program Window 8.1 was using , they just loaded, Seem that the PDF files are associated with Reader

******update*****

seem like it's the magazine PDF that are not supported, Its giving me the error " no such interface supported " document type PDF will open.

Last edited:
Hi mitchellvii,

what are you setting for the gamma etc.

Well I'm trying to use the "Calibrate Color" settings in the "Display" settings (on left side) and I'm dialing it all the way down. Trying to get away from the HD Control Panel as MS seems pretty dedicated against including it. Not as good but much better than the blown out stock settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back