What's new

Windows 10 Preview on Surface Pro 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well couldn't resist trying the new video drivers. Yes they seem quite smooth and silent. Also, I am able to turn down gamma to an acceptable level use the Control Panel>Display>Calibrate Color settings so the HD Control Panel will no longer be required. I ignored their recommended gamma settings and just cranked it all the way down which is just about perfect.

The keyboard input lag I was getting in browsers also seems to be alleviated. Looks like a quality driver, thank god.

LOL, you're back on Win10 ?!

funny-bear-hug-1.jpg

LOL, you're back on Win10 ?!

funny-bear-hug-1.jpg

Well it's so easy to roll back to 8.1 I figured what the hell, why not try the new drivers. Just ran it while having breakfast.

Am having a problem with it not waking from prolonged sleep. Had to do a reboot. Also getting some fan action without any real reason after the reboot.

CLEARTYPE BETTER:
One very positive thing I notice in W10 is they seem to have fixed cleartype font smoothing. You can especially tell in Office 365 and apps like Flipboard which used to have the jaggies bad and now look very smooth.

IE CRASHING:
On the not so positive front, IE simply will not load without crashing on me. Weird that no one else seems to have this problem and yet after several installs the issue persists. I can't delete it and reload so what do I do?

**UPDATE - Was able to get IE running by going into Internet Options on Control Panel and deleting/resetting all personal settings. Now that it's running it is making my fan blow harder than ever. So odd.

HIGH MEMORY USAGE:
Also on the odd front. I'm showing 70% memory usage with a single Chrome browser tab open on a simple website. As I look at the numbers for memory used, it doesn't seem to add up anywhere close to 70%. Am running at 53% memory with empty desktop.

FAN GOING NUTS AGAIN. :-(
When I first upgraded using the new drivers was completely silent, but since I had to reboot due to getting stuck in sleep, the fan has not stopped spinning. No idea what's going on there.

Last edited:
Well what I've noticed is if you load the Intel Drivers, dial down the gamma, then load the stock drivers the gamma sticks. Still a hassle but doable if the new drivers work well in other areas.

In 8.1 you are given some control over Gamma settings using the "Calibrate Color" in "Display" settings but it just isn't as good at getting the white whites and inky blacks as the HD Control Center is. In a pinch I suppose it will do. Assume this is available in W10, just haven't tried it.

I go here http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php and in Windows 10 this test shows a much better result than mine did on Windows 8.1 using the stock drivers. That's my only measure of black levels, and I've never messed with gamma or other settings. So I think the default settings are just better.

In any case, the new drivers work extremely well for me, and I'm most pleased that the SP3 isn't blowing like a turbine.

CLEARTYPE BETTER:
One very positive thing I notice in W10 is they seem to have fixed cleartype font smoothing. You can especially tell in Office 365 and apps like Flipboard which used to have the jaggies bad and now look very smooth.

IE CRASHING:
On the not so positive front, IE simply will not load without crashing on me. Weird that no one else seems to have this problem and yet after several installs the issue persists. I can't delete it and reload so what do I do?

**UPDATE - Was able to get IE running by going into Internet Options on Control Panel and deleting/resetting all personal settings. Now that it's running it is making my fan blow harder than ever. So odd.

HIGH MEMORY USAGE:
Also on the odd front. I'm showing 70% memory usage with a single Chrome browser tab open on a simple website. As I look at the numbers for memory used, it doesn't seem to add up anywhere close to 70%. Am running at 53% memory with empty desktop.

FAN GOING NUTS AGAIN. :-(
When I first upgraded using the new drivers was completely silent, but since I had to reboot due to getting stuck in sleep, the fan has not stopped spinning. No idea what's going on there.

I put the new drivers on this morning, but it didn't play nice, with IE and made fan work more than it should be for web browsing

I go here http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php and in Windows 10 this test shows a much better result than mine did on Windows 8.1 using the stock drivers. That's my only measure of black levels, and I've never messed with gamma or other settings. So I think the default settings are just better.

In any case, the new drivers work extremely well for me, and I'm most pleased that the SP3 isn't blowing like a turbine.

My fan is running almost full blast constantly with new drivers ever since that one lockup during sleep. Bizarre.

Update: Sigh, here I sit browsing a simple webpage with only IE open and my fan sounds like it's ready for takeoff with afterburners lit. What a pain. And it's not just the fan this time. The back of my SP3 is HOT.

Last edited:
My fan is running almost full blast constantly with new drivers ever since that one lockup during sleep. Bizarre.

Update: Sigh, here I sit browsing a simple webpage with only IE open and my fan sounds like it's ready for takeoff with afterburners lit. What a pain. And it's not just the fan this time. The back of my SP3 is HOT.

If you look in Task Manager, what's taking up the CPU? Should give at least some kind of hint about what's going on, and maybe some process you can kill.

I'm not that software savy, but noticed that the latest graphics update seems to address some of the Win10 issues on the SP3 (http://www.winbeta.org/news/microso...date-surface-pro-3-devices-running-windows-10).

For those of you who have been running Win10, with the latest build and graphics driver, does everything run pretty smoothly now? Also, if decide to download and install the latest build, do I need to re-install all my programs or does it just upgrade the operating system and all my other software is in tack?

Thanks for your help.

If you look in Task Manager, what's taking up the CPU? Should give at least some kind of hint about what's going on, and maybe some process you can kill.
That's just it. Nothing is taking up the CPU. There is no reason for the fan to be blowing and the back to be hot.

The only browser so far that doesn't make the fan blow is Firefox 35, which is funny because in 8.1 Firefox made the fan blow the most. Lol, who knows?

I'm not that software savy, but noticed that the latest graphics update seems to address some of the Win10 issues on the SP3 (http://www.winbeta.org/news/microso...date-surface-pro-3-devices-running-windows-10).

For those of you who have been running Win10, with the latest build and graphics driver, does everything run pretty smoothly now? Also, if decide to download and install the latest build, do I need to re-install all my programs or does it just upgrade the operating system and all my other software is in tack?

Thanks for your help.
If you use Windows Update to install it will retain everything. Make sure you don't delete the windows.old folder after installation because that will allow you to quickly return to 8.1 if you choose.

The performance will really be up to your device. Everyone seems to be having a unique experience.

Just can't believe that the browsing experience is so flaky, trying so hard to use IE.
At the moment the ten experience isn't great.
1) Flaky IE browsing with some basic sites ramping the fan up
2) unable to open PDF mags in the Microsoft reader, which worked fine in 8.1
3) one note no longer has the applet for adjusting the pen thickness.

Yes I know its early day

I started the download for the new Intel Video driverand then something happened and the screen went blank. I had to do a hard reset (Vol+Power) to restart and on restarting, Windows Update does not show any driver download available anymore. The installed driver shows as 10.18.15.4098 Strangely enough, I cannot even find 'View your Update History'. Any help will be appreciated.

PS: With YouTube having switched to HTML5 by default, I can no longer watch any YouTube videos properly. It seems that HTML5 does not work properly under Windows 10 and this is with Firefox, IE11 & Chrome (better on Chrome but still with problems) Also IE11 crashes each time I try to start a YouTube video.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back