What's new

Two latest firmware updates?

wpcoe

Today Windows Update installed two firmware updates: 235.3261.768.0 and 241.304.139.0 on my Surface Pro 6.

Googling the first one, it appears that it was for "Improv[ing] device stability during hibernate " per Microsoft and/or "improv[ing] start up performance" for 5th generation Surface Pros per various third-party web sites back in July.

Is it safe to assume that's what it does for a Surface Pro 6?

Googling the 241.304.139.0 brings up nothing Surface-related. Any ideas what it might have addressed?

Turbo4AWD

Yeah, I'm installing those updates now. Just got them on Windows Update. I thought 5th generation was the 2017 Surface Pro, but it must also affect Surface Pro 6's. Maybe someone forgot to mention it in the update description? Dunno.

1600312603023.png

Tom Gullette

I have the 2017 Surface Pro which I also understood to be the 5th generation. The latest update for me was "Surface - Firmware - 239.3275.257.0" installed on 9/16. According to MS:
  • * Improves Battery Smart Charging reliability.

All good so far, no issues with it.

Turbo4AWD

I have the 2017 Surface Pro which I also understood to be the 5th generation. The latest update for me was "Surface - Firmware - 239.3275.257.0" installed on 9/16. According to MS:
  • * Improves Battery Smart Charging reliability.

All good so far, no issues with it.

Nice, I am noticing that it does a lot better waking from sleep too. For the past few days when I wake it up its much more reliable. I used to reboot every time it woke from sleep due to either the wifi radio not powering on and the icon saying "no internet connection" or the computer wouldn't respond properly while trying to do regular daily tasks.

Since the update, I have not had to reboot for the functionality to return.

Tom Gullette

I haven't had the "reboot when waking from sleep" problem in a long time nor the wifi not powering up issue. I have had many instances where the touchpad quit responding and had to reboot to get it back. Hopefully this latest firmware will correct that even if not stated as a fix. Fingers crossed...

Turbo4AWD

I haven't had the "reboot when waking from sleep" problem in a long time nor the wifi not powering up issue. I have had many instances where the touchpad quit responding and had to reboot to get it back. Hopefully this latest firmware will correct that even if not stated as a fix. Fingers crossed...

Ah, I have never had the touchpad quit working, but I have had the computer lock up for a good 30-40 seconds before it starts responding to any input, keyboard OR mouse (touchpad or not), again. Thankfully I haven't had that issue in a long time now and only needed the WiFi and rebooting to get other parts of the Surface Pro working properly again issue fixed which it seems it has been fixed so far.

OP
W

wpcoe

Windows Update is currently installing:

wu.gif

I'm not a participant of the Windows Insiders program, so was surprised to see a "Preview" version of something automatically install. Have other users had this update install, too?

OP
W

wpcoe

FWIW, that was a big update. Not a feature update as far as I see from googling the KB, just a lot of fixes. After the download, the Windows Update window took over an hour to get to 100% installed, and then after clicking Restart, it took over seven minutes to finish installing.

ScottyS

I installed it and it went well, though as @wpcoe said it took over and hour. Didnt notice and differences but at least now if i go to Fiji the time zone will be right. Actually i do use Remote Desktop a lot so "Removes the HTTP call to www.microsoft.com that the Remote Desktop Client (mstsc.exe) makes at sign out when using a Remote Desktop Gateway." will be a good thing.