What's new

Thoughts after having Surface Book a few days.

Derekamoss

So it's been a few days with my Surface Book and I haven't ran into any problem yet. Detaching the screen works way better than I expected it to after trying some out at best buy. No screen issues or light bleed that I can perceive. So far its the best experience ive had with the surface brand, going from a Surface RT to Surface Pro 3 then to a Pro 4 and landing here.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
It is great to hear about your good experience so far, @Derekamoss . My two Surface Book computers get very heavy use, including much travel, for years now. I use the tablet mode a couple times per week. The touch screen works so well that I find myself trying to use my fingers on other computer screens to zoom, rotate, page, etc.

You might want to put some vinyl skin on that beautiful new machine. Makes the Surface Book easier to grip, and keeps it free from scratches.,

OP
D

Derekamoss

I will say the one thing I have not done since Windows 10 came out is used tablet mode on any of my Surfaces. Windows 8 and Surface was the reason why I initially ditched Apple all together. Tablet Mode to me is such a huge step back that I keep it in desktop mode all the time thinking it's actually a better experience than Windows 10 tablet mode.

OP
D

Derekamoss

I tried it and tried to love it but couldn't. I miss the horizontal start screen, the charms bar, the task switcher gesture from the left and metro IE which was so much better ui wise than edge. I guess I just have a hate for the new tablet mode considering how great windows 8 on my surface really was.

Plantje

O yeah! The horizontal start screen was great! And indeed the task switcher gesture....

You know who killed all of that? The Windows 8 haters! The people that without any thought were just complaining!

Wayne Orwig

O yeah! The horizontal start screen was great! And indeed the task switcher gesture....
You know who killed all of that? The Windows 8 haters! The people that without any thought were just complaining!

I thought that I was the only person alive that liked Win 8.1. Too many hated on it 'just because'.

For some reason I generally don't care for the Win 10 tablet mode though.

OP
D

Derekamoss

The only people who hated on windows 8 were people who never tried it on a tablet. Windows 8 was a mistake yes, but not because of its ui. It was a mistake because it didn't differentiate between a desktop and tablet. If they would have had Windows 8.1 with its start menu be default on desktops and the windows 8 start screen with the desktop tile environment defaulted on tablets no one would have complained.

Plantje

Not sure how things went down in the rest of the world... but in the Netherlands...

People didn't share their own opinion. They just repeated what every one else said.
A lot of people complaining about the missing start menu actually never used the start menu, they started all their programs from the desktop.
People were just stating stuff without thinking. "Windows 8 is only made for touch screen devices"
And then the list....oh...the list...
Windows XP good
Windows Vista bad
Windows 7 good
Windows 8 bad
Windows 10 good
Etc...

I think they even miss Windows ME in that. And (whatever suits their needs) sometimes NT versions are included and other times they're not.

It was quite a drastic change, but if you adopted the new system and made using it into a habit, it was way better than what Windows 10 was!