What's new

TH2 Has Landed - aka Windows 10 November Update - it's being pushed out

leeshor

The 10586 on the new SP4 downloaded without so much as a hiccup. 10 fingers and toes accounted for, Everything works as expected, so far.

BillJ

I have 3 machines at home: the old HP envy laptop was the first to get the update, went without a hiccup.
My SP3 got the update next, needed to restart a couple times before the process completed; overall went well.
My Spectre x360 is still waiting to hear from the great ether... I guess it may be days?

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Display Driver just crashed on SP4 core m #1.

Update Note: This occurred before the Update that gets applied *after* TH2 installs so it may or may not be relevant.

View attachment 7216
Confirmed: With TH2 and post TH2 updates installed not all causes of Display driver crashing are cured. It just happened again.

Log Name: System
Source: Display
Date: 11/12/2015 4:59:40 PM
Event ID: 4101
Description: Display driver igfx stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

system errors.PNG

Last edited:

leeshor

Not hear, not on either of the Surface Pro 4s in my office. Did you do anything between the upgrade and the crash?

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope. Not a single piece of non Windows 10 software passed the wifi adapter. Just web browsing without Edge or Flash.

leeshor

Final report, I think.

On my SP4 I had one and only one driver crash, or any crash at all for that matter, and that was on the first day while I was setting it up, October 28th. I just set up another SP4 and again had one video driver crash, in the first 10 minutes. I have now install quite a few apps, including Office 365 and the crash happened at 3:45 It's now 10:00 and I have been using the new one nearly constantly for over 6 hours with zero additional problems or crashes. The one and only thing that was a concern, (for 2 seconds), was a stall, but it was not hung up, just 1 hesitation. I have not used Edge and I have not installed any helper apps, like Shockwave or Adobe Air for instance. All is as up to date as it can get. I have used desktop IE.

OP
G

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe something else you had installed. Were you use IE?
So here's how I have IE configured. Basically as I have said the only thing I have done with IE is load three tracking protection lists.
Default toolbars and Extensions with Flash disabled.
ie1.PNG

default search provider
ie2.PNG

default accelerators
ie3.PNG

tracking protection.
ie4.PNG

but I tried it with this config
ienew.PNG

And it crashed again.

So it is what it is. Frankly this isn't the biggest problem.

The Touchscreen, Pen, and Trackpad randomly stopping is more serious since you are forced to reboot to get them back.

And once again I got 3 more display driver crashes editing this post... make that 4.

Last edited:

leeshor

Been there done that, it didn't help. Applications can't fix driver or hardware problems.
If that's the case then I'm just lucky. The one time on the new system, minutes ago, that I tried IE I had a diver crash. No such issue with Firefox. I have AdblockPlus installed and on the new system that's the only add-on. I didn't get a crash until I opened IE but on my system IE has not been a problem, yet but 98% of my browsing is in FF.