What's new

Surface Pro 2 - Still worth it?

mdfire

Ive had my trusty first gen Surface RT for about 20 months now and it has served me well...ive loved it! However, it is getting really slow now and I have lost my recovery boot image to do a refresh. Im also a bit peeved that apps such as Sonos, Sky Go etc havent appeared so I was thinking of an upgrade. I have a number of options

1. Hold on until Surface Pro 3 in August.
2. Buy a non surface full windows tablet/hybrid
3. Buy a Surface Pro 2

Ive done a lot of research and I think a lot of the non microsoft hardware have compromises, even ultrabooks, so if possible I would like to stay with the Surface line.

The Pro 3 is so damn sexy looking its very tempting. However, at just £569 for a 64GB Pro 2 and the fact that I already have a type cover 2, it looks very expensive. For what I want the only thing the Pro 3 has over the 2 for me is the colour and the thickness. Is the 2 still a good bet in peoples opinion? is the 3 such a vast improvement I should hold on? My use is web browsing, apps like sonos, facebook and sky go, word processing, outlook and powerpoint. I also like the idea of being able to use the digitiser pen to comment on PDF files and drawings (im an engineer).

Any advice appreciated.

Edit: how is fan noise on the 2 and battery life.? Im sort of used to the silence and the battery life of the RT model now.

Last edited:
For the apps you list, the Pro 2 ought to be fine. Of course, a bigger screen can be nice, but I don't think you'll be crippled by the Pro 2... plenty of people were happy with them before the Pro 3 was announced.

Fan noise and battery life are not awesome when you are doing intense things like games, but during normal productivity app use, both are very good.

Pro 2: Still an option, especially if you are price conscious.

cdf3

The Surface Pro 2 is still a great device. I average about 7-8 hours on mine, and I never hear the fans because I'm not running any games or intense apps. I like the 2 angle kickstand over the original Surface Pro, but the new kickstand on the Surface Pro 3 took it to another level. I'm jealous of the new kickstand, and how much thinner the new model is. The only way I'd suggest buying the Surface Pro 2 is if you're able to get it at a good deal. I wouldn't pay the same price for the Surface Pro 2, when you could get the Surface Pro 3 for the same price. Currently BestBuy is selling both 128GB models for the same price. For that price, I'd go with the 3.

OP
M

mdfire

When the 3 came out the price of the 2 dropped by £150 in the UK....tempted now to get a small tablet for missing apps and wait for the 3

MCube74

If you are planning a device now then surely the pro 3 i7 is he best choice.

If you plan to use the i5 CPU then Pro 2 at a lower price is best.

I don't game some am happy with my Pro 2 i5 4300u model with 8gb ram and 256gb storage. I think I will be fine until the Broadwell setup rolls out.

yeewiz

I got my SP2/512 in 4/2014 and I gotta admit, I got a little SP3 envy. Thinner and lighter for a small increase in width and length is what made me jealous. But I'm back to earth now. I spent too much to redo a SP3 purchase so soon. I'll wait for SP4. OTOH, if I have a warranty claim, I might press for a SP3 replacement.

jefhart

I got my SP2/512 in 4/2014 and I gotta admit, I got a little SP3 envy. Thinner and lighter for a small increase in width and length is what made me jealous. But I'm back to earth now. I spent too much to redo a SP3 purchase so soon. I'll wait for SP4. OTOH, if I have a warranty claim, I might press for a SP3 replacement.

Sorry, they're not going to give you a SP3 if your SP2 breaks.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I guess it comes down to this, how do you want to use it, the SP2 is a great machine that works great as a Laptop Replacement and occasional tablet (due to girth, weight and aspect ratio). SP3 from an innards perspective is an incremental update as it supports Connected Standby, has a Higher Resolution and larger panel.

SP3 biggest advantage is if you are a note taker it works much better due to being thinner and has a Portrait Ratio that mimics a Legal Pad, this is the biggest reason I'm upgrading is I use my tablets for reading and taking notes, something I do much less on the SP2 as it works best in landscape on this device. If you are planning to use the device mainly on the desk typing plugged in to an external monitor the SP2 is fine....

daniielrp

Well I certainly still think it is worth it, the specs are practically identical, so again I'd say the difference would be whether you want a 10" or 12" device.

al2fast

I didn't have my RT but for 4 months before I decided to get a SP2. I liked it way more than the SP2. It just could not be my sole computing device, I just couldn't handle the small screen and the tiny keyboard all the time and I never used the pen. Got a Yoga 2 Pro now and VERY happy and keeping my eyes peeled for that bargain on a SP1 for that mobile device for note taking in class this fall (via One Note AND typing).