What's new

Surface Laptop 2 and Dell USB C docking station

kaintxu

Hi everyone,

I have a surface laptop 2, which I used to use with a dell D3100 docking station without issues.

Recently I have had to replace the docking station for one my wife was provided at her work, Dell WD19 130W, which is a USB C docking station with a fix cable (it seem to be a usb c display port cale) which I can´t use with my surface laptop as it has no USB C.

Has anyone managed to short this situation or a way around? I would really require some help as I sometimes need to hook my laptop to the external monitor for work,

Thanks

Plantje

I have connected my Surface Pro 2017 to a D3100 as well and I was really happy with how that worked.

Still have one question though.... perhaps you have an idea on that: does a dock have some sort of graphical card built in? Or does it just use the graphics card of the computer connected?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have connected my Surface Pro 2017 to a D3100 as well and I was really happy with how that worked.

Still have one question though.... perhaps you have an idea on that: does a dock have some sort of graphical card built in? Or does it just use the graphics card of the computer connected?
Some of the Docks use the DisplayLink Virtual GPU (actually it uses the CPU/GPU combo to render) but the Thunderbolt or True USB-C uses the onboard Graphics...

Plantje

But it doesn't matter if they use CPU/GPU or the on board graphics: it is always the (graphics) power of the computer connected that creates the image on the screen