What's new

Sp4 - can it get 5 to 6 hrs battery?

Mikewired

just looking for an honest answer. Can the sp4 get 5 to 6 hours of battery life with screen 50 to 75 percent brightness with web surfing and one note usage?

Nspyr

There are a lot of variables. Screen brightness play a part in battery drain, but it also depends on what you do. I average 6-7 hrs. with brightness at about 50% but all I do is browse the web, photo editing, digital scrapbooking, & school work (word/PPT/excel/onenote).

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
I manage it easily. Never on 75% brightness though, I've never encountered a situation where I need beyond 50. Normally I have it set to "darker"

leeshor

I have my brightness at a ridiculous 35% and for an old guy with bad eyes that seems to work fine for me indoors. I never get less than 5 hours and frequently get 7-8..

Philtastic

SP4 screen is pretty bright. I'm usually okay with 25% brightness on battery which gets me somewhere between 6-8 hours.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Yes - depending on what you have installed. I run a clean machine, the only Win32 Application is Office 2016 x64 (Full Suite). For maximum battery life use the mobile versions of Office.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes - depending on what you have installed. I run a clean machine, the only Win32 Application is Office 2016 x64 (Full Suite). For maximum battery life use the mobile versions of Office.

Ironically, it used to be mui OneNote I was forced to use because of the inking issues, and now when there are battery life issues such as with sleep, I am forced to use the desktop version because of the inking issues in mui. Doh :(

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ironically, it used to be mui OneNote I was forced to use because of the inking issues, and now when there are battery life issues such as with sleep, I am forced to use the desktop version because of the inking issues in mui. Doh :(
Are you running Windows 8.1 or 10? I haven't had any inking issues in Windows 10. I use the desktop version for integration and management.

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you running Windows 8.1 or 10? I haven't had any inking issues in Windows 10. I use the desktop version for integration and management.

Win 10, fast track insider build. It's the issue where a diagonal inked line will appear from the pen tip to the bezel, and then OneNote locks up for a bit. This used to be something that I only saw in the desktop version. Now it is the other way around. It wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't that OneNote 2016 has yet to succeed in importing a pdf, so I have to import with mui, but then even on a 200mbps connection it can take up to an hour to sync a blank page from MUI to desktop. I have never understood why it can't be synced offline given the data is all locally stored.

leeshor

I posted that Microsoft. Gabe Aul warned people who were on the fast ring could/should expect many more bugs than usual because they will be closer to internal builds.