What's new

SP3 new screen

Wayne Orwig

On a SP1, I got a kit to help me.
iOpener Toolkit
You apply heat to the glue that holds the display on. It takes a lot of time and care to loosen the glue. It is VERY easy to damage a cable so you need to go slowly. In the end, I damaged a connector on the motherboard, so I had issues with the unit after that.
It can be done. It is fragile.

OP
R

Ryukote

But is that what I need? The only thing I need to replace is front screen, since only glass is cracked and screen is working normally.

Wayne Orwig

But is that what I need? The only thing I need to replace is front screen, since only glass is cracked and screen is working normally.
When I did my SP1, just buying the screen was everything, the touch portion, and the pen portion. It was all in one. I can not say for certain that Ebay listing is the same.

Jay Marino

I have contacted several places about a cracked screen. They all tell me the same thing.
1.) It's not worth fixing
2.) They cannot warranty any work
3.) Most likely, they will damage it while repairing
4.) It's probably cheaper/better to just buy a new one

GNS1310

I've been looking at refurbs (certified refurbs)
The thought of doing the work myself seems like a nightmare, even after I've watched about a dozen how-to vids. Don't know if I have the patience to do it myself.
Local computer guy won't touch it.
Cost to have it done professionally is a ton and it seems cheaper to find a good refurb.
Cracked screens make me crazy. Have loved my SP3 since the day I got it.

Attachments

• IMAG0822.jpg
    IMAG0822.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 527

itsgalf

I replaced the screen on mine just yesterday. I bought new screen off of ebay for $160.
It was frustrating but I just ended up just chipping the screen around the perimeter and it comes apart. Just need to watch out at the top because of the trim that contains the front-facing camera and antennas.

What gave me the confidence was the youtube video that just shows a guy opening it using a knife and screwdriver :)