What's new

help! Part confirm for cracked Surface Pro 2 Screen

icemanmelb

Sorry admin, posted it on one of the threads but can't find it so here's it again.
================================
I have a Surface Pro 2 with a cracked screen and would like to replace it. Noticed that I can get one from ebay but I would like to confirm the part number with someone who has replaced theirs.

Can someone please confirm that

LTL106HL01-001 LED LCD Screen Display

will work on the Surface PRO 2? It only states Surface Pro 1.

thanks

Ice

drolem

The same panel will work with both machines.

Note well, removing and then re-attaching the LCD is a highly non-trivial task.

Philtastic

Yeah, you may want to take it to a Microsoft Store and see what they can do for you. Consider that to open the SP2, you have to apply a really hot blow dryer to loosen the adhesive that holds the screen to the frame and then not accidentally spread the adhesive around or put it back in place crooked. It seems like a real hassle that it might be worth a couple hundred dollars to avoid having to deal with that.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Designing things not to be fixed eliminates unnecessary parts and connections which improves reliability and reduces costs. Since its not designed to be fixed there's no need to supply consumer parts again reducing costs.

For iFixit to give anyone false hope of self fixing something not designed to be fixed is a disservice to anyone who tries using their Rube Goldberg methods and their ratings are pointless or if there was any value in them the lower the score the better. There's no official parts supply chain so the parts that are available are either unofficially acquired, fakes, or cheap knock offs of inferior quality looking to score some easy money. Although its not impossible, anyone who does manage to repair a device without causing other problems is extremely lucky.

I don't believe for a second that authorized service centers or factory refurbishing uses the crude methods employed by ifixit and followed by hapless users hoping to fix something that wasn't designed to be fixed by consumers or unauthorized servicing establishments.

TPadden

...... and on the flip side, if it's already broken, you don't have much to lose by trying, and some might find it enjoyable or learn something useful by attempting to "fixit". There's a very wide range of individual capabilities, as well as desire, to tinker; authorized service centers and factory refurbishing are for those who have neither.

If it's going into the trash or closet it doesn't matter how many parts it's in :rolleyes:.

OP
I

icemanmelb

thanks for all the replies. I just came back from a long break a few days ago. Just to let everyone know, I found out that it's not just the LCD screen display that needs to be replaced but also the Touch Digitizer. So long story short, the Surface Pro 2 Unit will now live with a cracked screen until I can find a resonable priced LCD screen & digitizer unit. I'll return the LCD screen which I just ordered from ebay. Thanks everyone for your help.

Ice