What's new

Recommendations for a docking station cable

Empirical

After many years of my Surface Pro 3 (SP3) being my home / personal computer, I'm about to start using it for business. So I'm looking for a cable to connect the SP3 to a docking station for external screen, full-sized keyboard etc. I'm hoping this can just be done through the "power connector", with a cable that carries power, data and display back to a dock, but I can't find anwhere where such a cable is available (there are plenty of "nearlys", but they don't explicitly state they work for the SP3. Can anybody point me to a cable that would allow this one-point connect to a docking station?
I know there is a specific OEM docking station, but they are looking singularly difficult to find at the moment, and I'd actually prefer a generic one so other PC's in the house could also use the same work space.

AMS

After many years of my Surface Pro 3 (SP3) being my home / personal computer, I'm about to start using it for business. So I'm looking for a cable to connect the SP3 to a docking station for external screen, full-sized keyboard etc. I'm hoping this can just be done through the "power connector", with a cable that carries power, data and display back to a dock, but I can't find anwhere where such a cable is available (there are plenty of "nearlys", but they don't explicitly state they work for the SP3. Can anybody point me to a cable that would allow this one-point connect to a docking station?
I know there is a specific OEM docking station, but they are looking singularly difficult to find at the moment, and I'd actually prefer a generic one so other PC's in the house could also use the same work space.
I have an SP3 Dock (1664 I think, the one that you drop the SP3 into and slide to engage) you can have for the cost of shipping. It'll give you all the connections you need and then some. Aftermarket power supply included.

NB: If this kind of post isn't permitted, please delete it and/or let me know.