What's new

Official I received my Surface Pro 4

hughlle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Replacement arrived yesterday morning, and i've been using it fairly regularly since receiving it, all kinds of browsers etc, working like an absolute charm.

baq_pl

i5/8GB/256GB - one of the first few delivered to Poland. Unfortunately a lot of issues
1. Random crashes
2. Can't update to new version of Windows due to crashes (sometimes during download, once during update, it went to 67% of "applying settings" - the last of three stages and froze for 1 hour... after that I restarted it)
3. Device manager shows a lot of warnings (troubleshooting needed)

Do you think I should return it or try to resolve these issues by trying some updates?

CrippsCorner

If it's brand new mate I'd return it, though I understand it isn't ideal when you've not got a physical store to go to :(

baq_pl

actually I got it in "Media Markt" which is a chain of stores so I have the place to go... I think I'll have to do it now as after all issues I decided to reset the whole device to factory settings and now it's hanging at 58%

the issue is that they will take my new toy and I might need to wait for a replacement :-/

Anyway, I'm quite dissatisfied with the quality that is really below the price I was asked to pay...

Edit: I made a final attempt to fix the device myself and reset my PC (Recovery/Reset my PC) - it took ages to complete, something around 2-3 hours, it seemed like it's reinstalling the whole Windows. I started from scratch and didn't have a single freeze since then, I still have to do some heavy testing but it seems like this resolved some issues...

Last edited:

CrippsCorner

Good luck!

I had a major issue when upgrading to Windows 10 that did make me lose faith a bit... but ever since it's been spot on.

These things happen; I hope the rest of your experience is better and you can stick around and post up some more positive news :)

Afy

Just unboxed my i7 16 GB/256 here in the UK. Running updates as we speak... hopefully I wont have issues with this. :)

zhanggar

Recently I bought a Surface Pro 4 core m3 on amazon. Few days later a flashing green pixel showed up and wouldn't go away. Got a replacement and 2 days later a few dead black pixels showed up so I returned it immediately. Both had some moderate back light bleed at the bottom. I was not going to risk getting another defective unit and keep wasting my time. I've since purchased a Surface pro 3 from best buy and no problems so far.

Mike007

Just unboxed my i7 16 GB/256 here in the UK. Running updates as we speak... hopefully I wont have issues with this. :)

I have the same version. Can you check to see if your battery drains whilst plugged in when doing anything CPU intensive for a short while?

Afy

Not that I have noticed so far. I have run a few CPU intensive tasks, and haven't noticed anything.

Mike007

Not that I have noticed so far. I have run a few CPU intensive tasks, and haven't noticed anything.
Thanks.
If I play an intensive game on mine with a full battery for an hour, it will show 80% when I've finished the game. This is with the adapter plugged in.

Afy

That is weird. I don't play games, but have stressed the CPU running ETL etc.. haven't noticed that at all. Will try it again and actually look for this behaviour

jrhillma

Picked up an i7/16/265 at WorstPurchase today. Online they showed none in stock until next week, but I was headed that way and figured I'd check out the display model to help with the decision. Turns out they had one (the one I thought I wanted) in stock, despite their online inventory systems assertion otherwise. I took it as an omen and bought it, along with the biometric keyboard and an Arc mouse. The mouse will likely go back and I'll stick to my Logitech.

After installing Office Pro 2016, Project Pro 2016 and Visio 2016, I am now getting a "Operating System is not configured to run this application" pop up at random times. Mind blowing. Running the Office online repair right now, but I'm not holding out much hope. You'd think their flagship OS release and their flagship Office release would play well together right out of the box. Wouldn't you?