What's new

New Hardware Update: Is This The ONE?

Wayne Orwig

Since the update, when I go to wake up my SB in the morning, I have to press the power button. Until now, I used to just tap a keyboard key.
It almost feels like it has gone into hibernate and powered down everything. Though it is coming to life fairly quickly. It also does not appear to have sync any emails or anything until I wake it up.
This is with hibernate disabled, and on AC power.
Is this the new normal?

BearFlag

Anyone else have issues with the camera having difficulty turning on (for hello sign in) ever since this update. It's happen to me a couple of times.

Nuspieds

Anyone else have issues with the camera having difficulty turning on (for hello sign in) ever since this update. It's happen to me a couple of times.
Yes, twice.

I also had an HD Graphics crash a couple of hours ago--something I had not experienced since they made that fix sometime last year.

Just now, when I returned home, fan was running on high, system was hot, and I could not wake it up.

For me, so far, the system has regressed. :(

Niterider4

Issues since the latest update:
The camera now works sporadically for Windows Hello.
The Airplane Mode toggle is now always on (even though Airplane mode is not on) - this was fixed previously and is now broken again.
The setting to not require a password on wake from sleep is now broken (but can be sort of fixed with a registry edit).

leeshor

The airplane (and blue tooth) icons are also messed up on some desktops that don't even have WiFi (or blue tooth).

Niterider4

Honestly, how tough is it for Microsoft engineers to turn these icons off when BT or Airplane Mode is turned off (or a BT adapter is not even installed)? Every phone ever made does this perfectly, but Microsoft can't get its flagship operating system to do it. How is that even possible?

Nuspieds

I just had to install the latest (beta) HD Graphics Drivers because when my SB wakes from sleep, it is consistently losing 2 of the 3 external monitors. Moreover, I was still experiencing a blank SB screen from time-to-time, forcing me to power off and then on again.

For the longest while, prior this new update, as long as it woke from sleep, all my 3 external monitors were still preserved 99% of the time.

ballardelle

Well, count me among the frustrated. I was one of the first to get a Book. It's the first time in more than a decade that I've gone up in size on a laptop. I love the idea -- when it works, it is a great machine, favorite one I've had in many years-- but the bugs are frustrating. During the early days, I had blue screens, sleep issues (staying on in my bag, getting hot and wasting battery), headphone jack issues (have to troubleshoot it) and sometimes the trackpad/keyboard would be non-responsive after waking up. Battery life was pitiful compared to the advertised ratings and the results reported in professional reviews. But Hello worked beautifully (so well that I've told people I consider it a prerequisite for new machines!) and bugs were disappearing. Most of the problems were gone, except for the disappointing battery life and some blue screens.

Now, after the big update:
* the camera frequently fails to turn on for Windows Hello
* on waking up from Sleep, the keyboard/trackpad are non-responsive. Quickest fix is to detach and re-attach the screen. Given that Sleep was a focus for this bug update, I'm disappointed.
* my OneDrive connection got lost and had to be resynced (this happened once pre-update too, very annoying)
* I had no audio through HDMI for a presentation using equipment I use every week. Now I have to set aside time next week to troubleshoot.
* I had previously set up my Book to hibernate when I press the power button. Sometimes it seems to go to sleep now instead of hibernate.
* And yes, I've had a blue screen too.

Microsoft folks : I hope you're reading the forums, because this is really disappointing, especially for a longtime loyal user.

mtmowl

To MS:

Count me among the frustrated and disappointed users. I just spent 5 minutes trying to open my SB.

One of the few working innovations, Hello, is now unreliable to the point of embarrassment. Trying to start my SB in front of a classroom of Mac using students makes me feel like a complete idiot who doesn't know what tech to buy. I'm tired of the smirks. Not only can I not start the machine easily, but when I do, the keyboard often freezes, requiring a clipboard disconnect.

Numerous issues have been corrected since the release date, but sometimes at the expense of already working systems. Don't you people test your work before pushing it out? I expected some issues with a new product, but nothing like the Keystone Kops performance this has turned into.

When Microsoft throws around slogans like "the tablet that can replace your laptop" . . . yea. For better or for worse, the iPad IS the benchmark for tablet functionality, and the SB is essentially an SP4 attached to a really nice keyboard.[snip]

And yet, reading this forum's threads, the SB has had way more problems than the SP4.

Niterider4

I had a Blackberry Playbook, which was another tablet that was introduced as an "iPad killer". The Playbook, like the Surface Book, was plagued from the beginning with hardware and software issues. After about a year, with thousands of frustrated users and lackluster support, the Playbook was quietly discontinued.

Sound familiar, Microsoft?