What's new

Missing Power Plans, And Connected Standby

ncameron

My Surface Book shipped with one Power Plan = Balanced. Whoopee.

Which meant that I was getting an expected battery life of 4-5 hrs when fully charged. I could create new Power Plans, but found that these were not provided with all the power options - such as the processor speed controls.

Research indicated that this was because the SB ships with Connected Standby turned ON, which appears to (a) hide the Power Saver and High Performance Plans and (b) disallow many more advanced power config options.

This article below that if you turn Connected standby OFF in the Registry, you can then have full access to the other plans, copy one or both to a new name and adjust as required (with full options), and THEN TURN CS back ON - or (as I discovered) you lose the Sleep options altogether.

I now have a Max Battery option showing c 10+ hrs battery life...just thought I'd share.

Unauthorized link removed

PS. Obviously, the need to go through this rigmarole to unleash full battery life is ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

giliav

I had the exact same issue Today. What I did is turned the cs option to 0 on the registry, then rebooted and created a new custom power plan.
I selected that plan and then re-edited the registry to set the cs option back to 1 and rebooted.
As a result I am back to the original state BUT my SB is set to my custom plan ;)

I'm not really sure if all settings of my plan will apply (as it won't show all advanced options in the cs=1 mode) but I believe they are applied.
I also wish to find a way to have CS set to 0 (hence allow full power options control) while having the sleep and standby active in the power options.

OP
N

ncameron

My understanding of the article I quoted - which has been inexplicably removed - is that as long as you have made all the Power Plan changes you want, you then turn CS back on (to get Sleep menu options back) AND all your Power Plans will still operate just as defined. It appears to be working that way on my system...