What's new

8/13/13 Update - better battery?

Codevine

Yep, nothing there. The update history on modern UI is bugged though and doesn't show anything. The normal update history looks like this (german, though): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1316672/update.PNG

I've had the latest firmware running (July), then installed Windows 8.1. On the update history you can see it installed a system hardware update (July) some days ago, that actually failed and then worked. After that there wasn't any system hardware update. Kinda weird, but I've read in Neowin.net comments that the August update hasn't been showing up for some people in Win 8.1 Preview, too.

Sit

Just updated.... hope the Wi-Fi works better for me too. OpenGL still does not work for my astronomy software.... will install Intel's driver. Sad because the OpenGL is a known issue to MS and it has been know since the first firmware came about.

demandarin

No battery improvement for me either. Unfortunately, my fans now make a rattle noise. I'm not sure if they are giving out or if the update changed the speed at which they run but it's bugging me. It's only when they run slow. They sound the same at high speed. Now, I hear them run when they didn't use to. :(

ive actually never heard my fans yet. I always have other fans in the house and other noises(3yr. old daughter..lol). the update is working very well for me.

has anyone noticed that if you put it in performance mode, the clocks stay around 2.08-2.33Ghz? It says top speed is 1.7. I know it has turbo that can go higher at demanding moments. but I didn't think itd stay at those speeds majority of the time. so now when im plugged up, I put it in performance mode.

f.y.I. my sandisk micro SDXC 64gb card came in today along with tech armor screen protector. took me the longest time trying to get rid of bubbles but I did a pretty good job. then my Mogo case came in. I highly recommend this case. its so versatile. it rotates, allows different angles, even has its own kickstand in addition to putting it at different angles. allows portrait mode in stand. the cover can detach from it. all ports exposed and holes for vents. best of all, a holder for the pen.

demandarin

Just updated.... hope the Wi-Fi works better for me too. OpenGL still does not work for my astronomy software.... will install Intel's driver. Sad because the OpenGL is a known issue to MS and it has been know since the first firmware came about.

I installed the generic intel drivers the other day. it gave me graphics control panel. but this new firmware update, updated the hd4000 drivers also. Microsoft does their own custom version of intel drivers. now my graphics control panel doesn't let me mess with as many options as before. plus my display resolution size doesn't show in there anymore. I could always roll back or reinstall the drivers but I haven't noticed anything negative with new update.

like Mitch and others said, this new update meshes very well with surface pro. the touch pad on my type cover is a lot more sensitive and responsive.

just a f.y.i., you can go to waocom and download their drivers to make the pen even better, more accurate, etc.. with waocom driver installed I now have another pen control panel of sorts. where you can get really in depth on how you want to customize pen. like setting the botton to do other things. this driver also brings pressure reception to the surface pro. where it can determine pressure applied. the regular drivers Microsoft put out didn't allow this yet. new waocom drivers improved pen substantially.

when you get the intel drivers for HD4000, look for the zip file version. the exe version throws up an error when installing and says device doesn't meet minimum requirements. if you get the zip version, you can unpack it , then run autoinstall part in it and itll install just fine that way.

btw, im really loving this device. lol

for those looking for or missing the start button on desktop, google "ViStart". its from lee soft. itll allow you to add a start button to taskbar that works just like older windows. very customizable also. you can boot straight into desktop mode if you want from app. but I found out you don't even need app if you want to boot straight into desktop bypassing metro. theres a way to do it within the tablet itself.

Rvacha

A little OT, but after the update the SP felt snappier. Today I did a reboot and it installed updates (which was strange because I had already rebooted twice) and now Metro IE is blazing fast. I actually thought I had accidentally changed the power plan, but no. It is downright amazing. I have had issues with Metro IE randomly crashing - I will be interested to see if that got fixed

mitchellvii

A little OT, but after the update the SP felt snappier. Today I did a reboot and it installed updates (which was strange because I had already rebooted twice) and now Metro IE is blazing fast. I actually thought I had accidentally changed the power plan, but no. It is downright amazing. I have had issues with Metro IE randomly crashing - I will be interested to see if that got fixed

Did you notice the fonts in Modern IE look smoother as well?

byronicman

ive actually never heard my fans yet. I always have other fans in the house and other noises(3yr. old daughter..lol). the update is working very well for me.

has anyone noticed that if you put it in performance mode, the clocks stay around 2.08-2.33Ghz? It says top speed is 1.7. I know it has turbo that can go higher at demanding moments. but I didn't think itd stay at those speeds majority of the time. so now when im plugged up, I put it in performance mode.

f.y.I. my sandisk micro SDXC 64gb card came in today along with tech armor screen protector. took me the longest time trying to get rid of bubbles but I did a pretty good job. then my Mogo case came in. I highly recommend this case. its so versatile. it rotates, allows different angles, even has its own kickstand in addition to putting it at different angles. allows portrait mode in stand. the cover can detach from it. all ports exposed and holes for vents. best of all, a holder for the pen.

I would love a link to this case, if possible? Sounds amazing (and just what I am after).

demandarin

I would love a link to this case, if possible? Sounds amazing (and just what I am after).

No problem. Here you go.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B0O16XK/ref=ya_aw_oh_pit

I also got a 64gb Sandisk MicroSD card SDXC class 10 memory card. Its on sale now
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009QZH6JS/ref=ya_aw_oh_pit

Tech armor HD clear screen protector. I like them. I usually don't rock screen protectors but I want to keep this beautiful display looking brand new. It's super clear so no loss in quality of screen.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009NXFLWW/ref=ya_aw_oh_pit

Last edited: