What's new

I'm Leaning Towards the i5 Over the M3

DavidZ

In another thread, I documented a battery test that concluded that the M3 will typically last about 14% longer than the i5/4/128. Despite that advantage, I'm leaning towards the i5. Here's why.
  1. Faster - Everything seems to happen a little bit faster. It's not a huge difference, but it's noticeable. For example, the M3 takes about 15 seconds to start up from Hibernation. The i5 takes about 10 seconds.
  2. Better sound - I know this doesn't make much sense, but the sound from the speakers is definitely better on the i5. I can't imagine why a faster CPU would result in better sound. It could be simply the variation in manufacturing.
So, it comes down to quality time vs. quantity of time. Five hours of usage is probably ample for my needs. I would like 14% more battery time. But I'd rather enjoy the time I have more, than have more of it.

Nspyr

I think it's a good idea. The i5 will give you a little more headroom in case you start doing more in the future.

raqball

Depends on what you are doing with the machine. The i5 might do some tasks faster and in other areas it will be virtually unnoticeable...

I have the core M and don't doubt my decision for one second..

OP
D

DavidZ

It's definitely a close call. I'm sure I'd be very happy with either one.

It's just that I have to return one of them...

raqball

I'd say if you are not 100% sure that the core M will meet your needs then stick with the i5 to avoid any issues down the road.

My core M has handled everything I've thrown at it without issue but I am a home user only..

eduardmc

If you are close to microcenter get the i5 for the same price has a m3. First is faster even on basic thing like when scrolling on edge you hardly see any redraw. Now here is the advantage that most people might have not notice. Get the I5, if you want same performance and BETTER battery life than the m3 just underclock the cpu to same speed of the M3 creating a new power profile. You will have a FANLESS, 9-10 hour battery machine. Even at full speed the I5 fan only came up while doing my first 1 hour update when I first boot up my machine. I haven't heard the fan ever since. (I do not game) doesn't even get warm. so basically you can downgrade your i5 to m3 performance and battery if you wish but you cannot turn the m3 to an i5 performance.

raqball

First is faster even on basic thing like when scrolling on edge you hardly see any redraw. Now here is the advantage that most people might have not notice. Get the I5,.

I have no redraw on my core M when scrolling in Edge.........

eduardmc

That sounds like more tinkering with my power settings than I want to experiment with. If something goes wrong, I won't be a happy camper, that's for sure.

Lol is 200% safe nothing will happen to your system since this is a default setting avail from Microsoft to ALL windows users. Microsoft probably hide the power setting they believe the surface pro work best with all default setting, and not setting that would actually drain battery faster. For example, if you select "minimum state" 100%, it means your cpu will be at full speed all the time, making your battery drain faster and your pro hotter.

Now, we are actually making the I5 less powerfull which will make your pro run COOLER and LONGER BATTERY LIFE.

Actually the guide mention is more like a noob guide. very simple

If you want something even more simple download this 2 files (enable minimum state) (enable maximum state) This will make both option appear in your profile without you doing the work in regedit.

Power Options - Add or Remove "Min/Max processor state"

create a new profile (I name mine "Underclock") do not change anything other than the maxium state, to 50%-60%-80% which ever u feel comfortable. with 50% I get crazy battery.

REMEMBER: now having 2 profile you can switch between profile with one click if you need to go from underclock to full speed just if u need that xtra juice which is also cool

Last edited:
OP
D

DavidZ

Lol is 200% safe nothing will happen to your system...

Eduardmc, I reread the thread you posted a couple of times and am getting more comfortable with the concept of underclocking. There are still some aspects of the setting changes that I don't understand.
  1. One poster stated that if you reverse the registry change you can "get the sleep-state back." The original poster liked his comment. I posted a message asking what this statement means and why would these setting changes eliminate the sleep state. I haven't gotten a reply yet.
  2. I understand why he recommends reducing the maximum processor speed, but I don't understand why he increases the minimum processor speed. When asked this question the OP just said it was his preference, but didn't fully explain why.
I don't make changes to the settings on my computers unless I have a good understanding of what I'm doing. Also, even if I understand what I'm doing, I need to have a good reason to make a change because there's always a risk that something could go wrong. The old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" comes to mind.

While I'm curious to understand these setting changes and would like to have this option in the future, I don't have a strong enough current need to attempt the changes right now. But it's nice to know that I have the option. Thanks for posting about it.