What's new

Solved Graphics Control Panel/Scaling/Overscan

Slypig86

So a few things to cover/investigate:

1. When connecting to a TV via mini D-Port i get a good chunk of the screen cut off, normally would go into Intel HD Graphics Control Panel(Catalyst Control Center, Nvidia Control Panel, etc) to adjust this but there is no seemingly no way to reach these settings on the Surface Pro 3 as it stands. Is this in the works? Is there a work around?

2. Also when mirroring or running a game off steam for instance in 1920x1080, there is a significant black border on the surface itself. Even bringing down the resolution from native to match the program still produces this undesired black border on the surface display. Will there be a way to scale up 1920x1080 resolutions to fit the surface's display? Is there a work around now?

Thanks in advance for reading and responding. I'd really like to keep the surface but I feel like these kinds of lingering issues are pushing me towards a return unless a fix is on the horizon.

purist284

Unfortunately, I'm having this same problem when connecting to an HDTV via mini-display to HDMI adapter. Tech support has been absolutely useless: they update my machine and even went so far as to suggest that I should refresh the device (losing all of my installed desktop apps) in order to confirm it's not a hardware malfunction. I've tried twice to explain to them that this is a video card driver issue and that all that needs to happen is that Intel needs to update their drivers so we have underscan/overscan or "scaling" options available.

The link from OP is now broken. The issue persists. I think it's safe to say that this thread should not be marked "Solved" until such time as Microsoft and Intel put their heads together and release driver updates that address this issue.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Unfortunately, I'm having this same problem when connecting to an HDTV via mini-display to HDMI adapter. Tech support has been absolutely useless: they update my machine and even went so far as to suggest that I should refresh the device (losing all of my installed desktop apps) in order to confirm it's not a hardware malfunction. I've tried twice to explain to them that this is a video card driver issue and that all that needs to happen is that Intel needs to update their drivers so we have underscan/overscan or "scaling" options available.

The link from OP is now broken. The issue persists. I think it's safe to say that this thread should not be marked "Solved" until such time as Microsoft and Intel put their heads together and release driver updates that address this issue.
You can install the Intel Reference Driver (download the zip file) from Intel's download site, you will get the Control Panel and you can adjust your over-scan issue. Also, some HDTV have their own adjustments (my does) so I don't need to install the reference driver.

Welcome to the community and doing the above allows this thread still be listed as resolved :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ok. But won't the driver roll back the next time the machine updates?
Hide the update - it will be listed as a System Hardware Update, of course the Firmware will over-write it so you'll download the newest when that happens...

purist284

Ok. I wish I could get that far. I've just spent the last half hour trying to manually update the driver. Each time, it tells me that the latest version of the driver is already installed. I tried first uninstalling the driver beforehand, but it seems to just reinstall itself. I'll post back here with some screenshots in a few minutes.

purist284

Step 01.PNG
Step 02.PNG

purist284

Actually, you know what? I don't like the idea of having to install drivers that are not certified for my hardware and subsequently have to hide official updates. I don't think that's any kind of solution at all. I think it's a straight forward issue of Intel updating their drivers for Surface. And I'm going to leave it at that. My experience with Microsoft technical support has been endlessly frustrating. I'm just hoping that someone with influence will see this thread and take it upon themselves to do something about this problem.

If I'm doing something wrong, or overlooking something, I'm certainly open to suggestions/instructions. But it feels like alot of hoops to jump through to jail-break a Surface when the issue can be resolved by Intel and Microsoft without much effort.