What's new

Firmware update time again

Turbo4AWD

Finally got the chance to use my Surface Pro 6 as a main work machine today. Ran through a ton of stuff like it was NOTHING. Made a work Core i7, 16gb ram machine look like an Android tablet that is only powerful enough to run mobile apps since my Core i5, 8GB Surface Pro 6 didn't even flinch running all of the work apps and tons of browser tabs/windows along with the ring camera app to check the cameras outside.

I plowed through the day without slowdowns or stuttering and after closing all my apps down I get a notification to check Windows Update.....then this popped up. Hoping these updates are good and the Firmware update doesn't make the experience bad at all because my Surface Pro 6 has been great for years now.

Attachments

• 2021-04-08 18_22_35-Window.png
    2021-04-08 18_22_35-Window.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 329
OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Let us know if you come up on the other side of all these updates still alive.
Welp, so far so good. Update went well. Just woke it up from sleep and it's still running strong with no noticeable issues/slowdowns yet. Tomorrow will be a proper test to see how the new firmware/updates hold up.

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Day one down and ZERO issues. No crashes, nothing. It was docked so I will try out battery life this weekend to see how different it is.

Great moment happened today where work required us to sign a bunch of legal PDF documents and they didn't want to pay for DocuSign so they gave us all steps to take in SnagIt to "sign" the documents. I was like "Nope. Surface Pen." and immediately everyone groaned and were jealous at how I just signed all of the documents on the screen with my Surface Pen and didn't have to go through all those crazy steps. lol. Good Times.

Otherwise I really didn't feel a difference. The Surface Pro 6 was working like it's any other day....putting my work provided laptop to shame still. lol

wpcoe

I was prompted by Windows Update, but only for two items: Firmware & Display. I accepted both updates and so far have seen no difference, good or bad.

Great moment happened today where work required us to sign a bunch of legal PDF documents and they didn't want to pay for DocuSign so they gave us all steps to take in SnagIt to "sign" the documents. I was like "Nope. Surface Pen." and immediately everyone groaned and were jealous at how I just signed all of the documents on the screen with my Surface Pen and didn't have to go through all those crazy steps. lol. Good Times.

I am replying to this part of your post. I have stopped using paper when correcting student projects. I have my rubric as a PDF and I mark it up using Drawboard PDF. I then send the feedback to students. Like you, other coworkers are really amazed and groan at the same time. They still type comments using Microsoft Word. To each their own.

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

Follow up: It's been great. I use my Surface Pro 6 for work everyday and it has been kicking ass ZERO complaints about being a work machine. I actually cannot understand why the enterprise doesn't use these more often instead of a full blown laptop or desktop tower. I even attempted playing Outriders Demo on it and I was surprised I could even play. It was a stutter fest in a lot of places, but that was mostly story mode or when a big scene was loading. It wasn't butter smooth anywhere, but still played. Regardless, I have been using it to play Fortnite with a friend online and it actually works REALLY well in Fortnite. We have won multiple rounds without anyone needing to carry me. lol.

Battery life feels the same...if I install windows updates on battery I lose a small chunk of battery life, but if I am using it normally while browsing the web or reading things....even watching some youtube videos, it works really well. As you can see, I'm really happy it's just a shame the Surface Pro 6 experience could not have been like this on release month because it would have done WAY better than what it did. At least there is a Surface Pro 7 and plans for another Surface Pro in the future...feels like the Surface Pro has a bright future.

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

...man, keep getting them...I'm probably gonna stop posting after this update because this is a LOT of updates happening in a short period of time. I wonder what this 20H2 update is for...and it's not even firmware, it's just an OS update so it kinda doesn't count. Anyways, crossing my fingers all goes well after this update...

1619042859109.png

OP
T

Turbo4AWD

So far everything has worked VERY well. No issues at all.......so I decided to join the "optional" update to test out a 20H2 preview update. It seems to be running fine. Still no real issues. A little annoyed with my Internet Service Provider because it seems like my neighborhood is being affected whenever a nearby neighborhood has an outage. Don't get me wrong, I am not completely down, but my internet speeds are reduced to at least half what I would normally get or half of what the speed is when the issue is resolved.

Very satisfied with it so far. Zero complaints with these updates so far.

wpcoe

Another batch of improving system stability & addressing critical security vulnerabilities:

1624504360558.png

A list with rather unhelpful descriptions.