What's new

Firmware Update 6/19/2014 again?

YKinase

I just checked on windows update and the Firmware Update from 6/19/2014 installed today 7/2/2014. I checked my logs and it had installed when I first set up my SP3 on 6/20/2014. Anyone else see this behavior?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Did you mess around with any of the Drivers (Wireless or Video)? Because the Firmware includes drivers. I find if I modify I get offered them again....

Deryl McCarty

I have similar experiences on the SP2 (my pre-ordered SP3 is not yet released.) And I don't recall messing with the drivers except when a patch Tuesday did so. In my case I can see 4 firmware loads since October (Oct 24, Feb 11, Mar 11, Jun 10), with the firmware reinstalling itself 3 times in June 2014 (June 10 version), 10 times of the 11 May version (2 to recover from a failed install, and one to recover from a Feb install over a March 2011 install), 6 times of the Feb 2014 install and 4 times of the October 2013 version.

While this seems odd and truth be told I was a bit confused and apprehensive at the outset, there seems to be no pattern nor negative impact on the operation of the machine. In fact, had I not looked at the update history I would not have even suspected that many firmware reinstalls.

The only driver issue I have had with SP or SP2 was the Marvell drivers, which I see may not have been solved yet. Hopefully by the end of this month when my SP3 i7 256 arrives all Marvell issues will be in the past.

OP
Y

YKinase

Did you mess around with any of the Drivers (Wireless or Video)? Because the Firmware includes drivers. I find if I modify I get offered them again....
I've not done anything with the drivers. However, two days ago the SP3 locked up when I was using OneNote. The screen dimmed a bit and the fan wound up. I finally forced a shut down. When I restarted, I saw the dreaded thermometer. After 60 sec, I restarted and it booted. I doubt that had an effect, but that's the only out of the ordinary thing that happened.

FWIW, I ran the Intel Processor Diagnostic Tool along with RealTemp to monitor how the processor temp. At peak, the processor was 86 degrees. I just re-ran it and it peaked at 77 degrees.